Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK, TIME FOR A MAD MAX TURKEY ROLL CALL

Options
13»

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    not sure why it was a fattier bird (maybe the type you bought?) .. .. glad it all turned out good for you though. ..
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    hey pat, it was great talking to you too!!!. . .glad you had a good result as well!!!not sure i'd be wanting to make a second one myself already though. .LOL
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    and you as well.
  • BuffaloChip
    Options
    Here's mine. First real cook on an egg and first time trying to post a pic. Thighs were just a little under done but the microwave tip saved the day. Thanks.
    --Dave

pre cook
    PB271027.jpg
    cooked
    Turkdone.jpg
    served
    Turkserved.jpg
  • SoDakEgger
    Options
    We did one here, too. Did a dry brine with herbed salt. It was a manifest success.

Photos will follow sometime soon.

Thanks again for all the guidelines and advice, Max.
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    Count me for 2, a 20lb and a 14lb. MMT made 2 families and 20 people very happy. It was my 2nd year with your recipe and everyone said it was the moistest turkey they ever had.
    My friend Steve made one and took it to his wife's family and they preferred the one cooked in the oven. It seems that the moist turkey had too much flavor and they are used to a bland, dry bird. Tradition! (stupid one I think)
  • Abelman
    Options
    This was the first turkey on the LG egg and it was also the first Mad Max turkey. Simply incredible. I did brine the natural bird first and used a combo of Cherry and Pecan wood. It was out of this world, very tender, juicy and just plain full of taste. Thanks for the recipe!!

Finished5hrs.jpg
  • Serenity Now
    Options
    Yesterday was my first time for the MM Turkey. I was a little stressed out with all of our kids and families coming for dinner, but I did have a blast getting preparing the turkey using the MM directions. We had a 21 lb bird and the set-up on my XL was easy. With the temp stabilized at 325 throughout, I decided to check the temperature of the bird after 4 hours and my to my surprise, the breast temp was well over 160 and the thighs were also well over temp. I was expecting the turkey to take much longer to cook. Although a the breast was a little dry, the excellent gravy must have made up for it because everyone enjoyed it. I guess the lesson learned for me is to start checking the temperature early. I do plan to do another for Christmas, so if anyone has any other tips, I would appreciate it.
  • Marc  from IL
    Options
    Mine turned out wonderful. I was worried. It cooked faster then I thought but after I talked with Max I tented the bird for 2 hours and it was fine. It caught me off guard how fast it cooked

Thanks Max,
    Marc
    IMG_6231.jpg
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    I didn't egg the turkey, did it in the oven, but still followed a lot of your advice - icing the breasts and your 'recipe' for gravy, which is the best part of my meal now, thanks to you! :kiss:
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    DSC00684.jpg

DSC00688.jpg

Max,
    Your method is great! Easy and good! I used the adjustable rig and couldn't have been more pleased. We had an "orphan" Tday here at the house and everyone was floored at how good and moist the bird was.
    Thanks for all of the effort that you put in to helping the egg nation have a great Thanksgiving!