Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Day after

Options
JermanJiant
JermanJiant Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did not cook yesterday, so I plan to smoke a fresh turkey for the weeks sandwich meat. I'm ideally aiming for a mesquite smoked turkey breast similar to what boars head offers in deli sections.

What temp(dome/breast) and how long is reccommended per lb? What wood/injection marinade? I saw pics of peope icing the breast. Better this way? Is any size too small? Should I just buy a breast to smoke?

Comments

• jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    I believe that most deli type smoked turkey is brined heavily before cooking.

You could do a breast only, but brined dark meat is one of my favorite things -- I'm a nut for state fair smoked turkey legs. My dry brined bird had the legs come out almost like fair legs, but not quite. I'm going to get some legs only and start trying recipes out.

Icing the breast is to make sure they're done the same time as the dark meat.