Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mini question

Options
EggME
EggME Posts: 116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got my mini last Sunday and I'll be doing the first cook tonight, (stuffed mushrooms.) I did notice one thing that I didn't notice Sunday. The lower vent does not have a screen part that closes, is that normal or should I order one from the "Mother Ship". I'm not upset because I got such a good deal on this thing and the dealer was soooo nice. I think I can also order one from Fred's Music and BBQ. It was only $5.95 and I have some other stuff to order from there anyway. It looks like it's the same size vent as the small. But if the mini usually doesn't have one anyway then I will just leave it like it is. Thanks for the help and I'll try to post pictures of the first cook tonight! I'm really excited to try this thing out.

Comments

• lowercasebill
    Options
    i do not have one and i have a brick house and a concrete breezeway so no need ,,, i would not bother unless there is a danger of mini sparks setting something on fire.
    will be waiting to the the photos have fun
    bill
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    There's no screen on my mini, but I bought it before screens were even included. Personally I don't see it being a problem. Trying to add a screen to an existing vent door is a real pain though, if you want to add the screen buy the whole lower vent assembly rather than just the screen itself..
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    My mini is 2 months old & it did come with one, but my large never had one & like the others have said it is not a problem; if you are cooking on a wooden deck just be careful of the little shooting stars that pop out from time to time, & lets see those shrooms tonight :)
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    If you are ordering stuff, spend the $6 for the screen. The mini is the most mobile Egg, so you might as well outfit it so you can use it in multiple environments.

Over the years we have added screens to all of our Eggs. The small and mini were a breeze to put on; the large was most challenging (but very doable).

Puj
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Just got mine in Atlanta, comes with the screen & door. Will post my first cook on the mini in a few hours.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Hey Pam they come with them unless it has changed since June. Enjoy :) Julie
  • I just purchased a new mini on Tuesday and mine had a screen. Sounds like BGE is having quality control issues becaue I'm missing the cermanic feet and the daisy wheel does not sit on the dome properly.