Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone tried Popcorn?

Options
Banker John
Banker John Posts: 583
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just finishing smoked chicken for kickoff, Egg is hit. I am windering if anyone has ever cooked popcorn.[p]If so, how?[p]would like set up & temp.[p]I'm thinking covered dutch oven on posts, but do not know how hot to make it.[p]Any suggestions?

Comments

• Mark G
    Mark G Posts: 39
    Options
    Banker John,[p]"I am windering if anyone has ever cooked popcorn. If so, how?"[p]I cook this popcorn stuff all the time. It now comes in these special hi-tech bags you can put in your microwave oven! If your microwave is a newer one, made since about 1980, it will have a button specially designed to cook popcorn for the perfect amount of time at the perfect temperature. If yours does not have this button send me an email and I'll be more than happy to help you out.[p]There. Now that we got that out of the way you can cook something much more interesting and tasty on your BGE. I'm making some Hot Wings and stuffed Jalapenos.[p]Good luck with the popcorn, let us know how it turns out.[p]Mark G[p]
  • Banker John
    Options
    Mark G,
    check your inbox

• Yo Banker John, I am not flaming you by any means so don't take what I am about to say personally. If you are going to cook popcorn in a dutch oven with the lid the on the dutch oven, then why do you need the egg to do this?[p]The reason I say this is with the dutch oven lid on, the egg is not going to add any charcoal or wood flavor to the popcorn.[p]If you want this flavor on your popped corn, there are corn poppers that are made out of mesh wire. I know we used to sell them at our family owned hardware store and I imagine they are still available. This style of popper is designed for cooking over an open fire so this would mean you would have to cook the popcorn on an open egg or in your fireplace. I hope this helps.[p]Lager,[p]JDB - Juggy D Beerman

• 58351.jpg
    <p />Yo Banker John, Although this is not the exact fireplace popcorn popper I was referring to, it will give you an idea of what I was referring to. The type we sold was a wire mesh basket that did not have a metal bottom.[p]Lager,[p]JDB [p]
  • Banker John
    Options
    JDB,
    Only thought for popcorn on the egg was since it was hot and there was lump left over... One of those last minute things.[p]Did end up making popcorn. I put peanut oil in the bottom of the dutch oven set up indirect on kiln posts (1/2" brass elbows. Heated dutch oven for about 20 minutes at 280, put in peanut oil and popcorn, placed lid on dutch oven, placen in egg, closed lid and listened.[p]Tasted just like popcorn. Kids loved it and thought it was neat. Only advantage to popcorn on the egg is that it will season your dutch oven. LOL[p]Bnaker John