Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why should I buy a Green Egg

Sparkster
Sparkster Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Trying to decide whether or not to buy a Green Egg for grilling and smoking. Don't know a whole lot about them, except they get hot, lined with ceramic, and uses charcoal. Are they easy to use or a headache trying to figure them out......... Looking for advice and instruction on operation, grilling and smoking.

Thanks so much :)
Sparky

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Welcome! We already have someone on the forum who posts as Sparky. You will need to find a different handle. They are easier to hold temps with than virtually any other grill. You'll love it!
  • My gaser has been covered ever since I started eggin. a whole new world out here.
    Marc
  • Thanks for the info. I will try to change my handle to eliminate any confusion.
  • This topic gets asked on here alot and you will find plenty of posts if you do a quick search.
    Top reasons:
    #1 Smoker in the world
    Lifetime guarantee
    Best grill you'll ever use
    Bakes as good as your oven
    Best pizza you'll ever eat

...the list goes on and on. Not to mention you instantly become a member of the Egghead "cult" err..I um ,ment to say, family ;) .
    smokinegg.jpg
  • Thanks for the input, I will check out some of the things that you mentioned.
  • Good Food, Good Friends and Good Wine.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Thanks for changing your handle, I thought Doug was playing a joke!! :huh:
  • Not a problem ............. just trying to justify the expense of the green egg
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Yep there is that Life time warranty.
    There is this forum..

You won't need to by another cooker. You will, but you won't have too. When you do buy a second one it will be another egg.

There are all those turkeys out there getting happy today..

Did I mention the lifetime warranty?

Holds temps even in sub-freezing weather better than your oven.

Can go from an 18+ hour low and slow cook to baking a pizza at 500+ on the same load of lump.

Did I mention this forum?

Let me correct you on one thing. They are not ceramic lined. They are ALL ceramic.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Most of us own more than 1. Some own several, you'll get hooked, and the food will far exceed anything you'll get in your favorite restaurant. Where are you located?
  • Cooking on a BGE is more than just BBQing it is a way of life. your friends and family will marvel at your new found cooking genius. after you purchase your egg you will find after a small learning curve that everything you smoke, grill and roast will come out perfectly moist tender or perfectly smoked and you have the greatest support group you will ever find here in the BGE forum. The BGEs are expensive but so are the high end gassers the difference is the gasser will not cook half as well and will only last you 3 to 5 years before it rusts out, the Egg will last generations and cook perfectly every time with little or no upkeep.

FireWalker
  • Look at my gaser in the back ground that never gets usedIMG_6191.jpg
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    When you do buy a second one
    it will be another egg.
    Wolfman speakem truth. Me just bought small yesterday to go with my large.

BTW welcome!!!
  • You will get a ton of responses, I'm sure.

What do you use now for a grill and what kind of food do you like to cook?

I had used nothing but gasser for 20 odd years before I took the plunge. I think of my gasser as "a car" and my Egg as "a Ferrari". both will take you to the store, but one can do a whole lot more! My gasser is never used. I just keep it around because my wife would never let us get rid of "the grill".

I have become an avid griller since getting my Egg and I cook stuff on my Egg that I had never cooked in an oven, let alone on a grill!!

This board is a major benefit as well. You don't have to have an Egg to post here, but if you do have an Egg it is an invaluable resource for all things Egg related.

There are other companies that imitate the Egg and in fact their sales pitch revolves around comparing them to an Egg. I am glad I went with the original. Lifetime warrantee. great support both at the mothership and here.

I don't have a lot of money and it was worth it to me. Now I cook out easily 3 imes a week every week all year long (I live in new England). Get an Egg and start having fun!
  • What CW said, especially regarding this forum. I bought my Egg about seven years ago, and only really understood how to cook on it since I've been here. It's not hard to use, by any means, but to really understand and master the Egg, this forum can't be beat.

Here are a few more reasons:

DSC00262.jpg
    DSC01112.jpg
    DSC00190.jpg
    P1010012.jpg
    DSC01153.jpg
    DSC01124.jpg
    DSC01118.jpg
    DSC01122.jpg
    DSC01061.jpg
    DSC01110.jpg
  • Thanks for your advise. I currently use a weber gas grill. I like to smoke meats, turkey etc, I use a Brinkman electric smoker for that. I like to grill burgers, steak, chops, etc.

Not sure how to smoke in EGG, is there a place to put your wood in to create smoke?

steve
  • WOW, If I can duplicate those fine looking eats ............... I'm in

Thanks so much .........
  • If was a reluctant convert from a Weber kettle. Now it holds my eggcessories. The BGE really is great to cook on, with a short learning curve. Enough info comes with it (DVD, cook book) that you will surprise yourself how good your first few cooks turn out.
    Let us know what size you get, and Happy Thanksgiving.
    Al
  • Celtic Wolf
    You can and we are here to help you do so.

Ohhh let me add what other cooker do you know that has a user of that cooker open a hot-line to help you cook your turkey??

Don't think too hard!!! :woohoo:
  • CW,
    There is this forum too.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Thanks so much, Happy Thanksgiving to you and to everyone on this forum. I think I will be back one day with my new egg looking for tips and recipes.

steve
  • Brad,

Have you posted all those? Eggcellent cooks!
    I have been egging for 11 years now. Learned about the forum maybe six years ago and my game has gotten a whole lot better in that time.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sparkster,

Are you an electrician? You will never regret the decision to go with the egg. In fact, odds are, that you will have more than one in fairly short order. You will dispose of your gasser and spend countless hours on this forum. On the plus side, you will not eat out anymore.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Celtic Wolf
    Ohhhh yeah I forgot that :woohoo:
  • Yes, I am an electrician. I guess you could tell by the name, huh. This forum has been quit helpful so far. Still trying to figure out how to create smoke in the EGG. do you just throw chips on the coals or what?

Steve
  • Are you Steve too?

You can use chips or chunks. No need to soak in the egg. IMHO you only use a fraction of the wood in an egg than you would in any othere type of smoker cause it stays in the egg a lot longer. BTW, there is a "sparky" on the forum who, like us is spark. Watch out for him as he will lead you astray. He has a little short friend that is real bad news. ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Man, if I can do it, you can do it. The Egg really makes it easy.
  • I think I've posted most, if not all of those at one time or another. I agree...I was lukewarm on the Egg until I got here. Now it's without a doubt the center of my family's cooking and dining experience.
  • Make sure to take and post pics, Sparkster. They are inspiration for so many here.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Upu mean Sparky's fuse is loose???

@sparkster Use one or two chunks of wood and like the lil' guy said don't soak them..