Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt with bone?

Stuart
Stuart Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just brought home a 6 1/2 lb butt that has a bone in it. I plan on cooking it with the bone in and wonder how the bonoe will affect the cook time? Will this speed it up?

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    stuart, most every butt that I have done has a bone, coooking time to do it right? about 19-22 hours![p]Life is GOOD :~}
  • Stuart
    Stuart Posts: 110
    Gordon,[p]Thanks for your response. This only my first time cooking a butt. Previous attempts have always been a similar however boneless cut of meat. First attempt I'm not really sure what the butcher sold me but it didn't work and was terribly fatty. The second time it was actually the picnic with out bone.[p]In laws are coming over for the Superbowl tomorrow so the butts going on now.[p]Go Tampa![p]Stuart
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    PP_2002_10_05.JPG
    <p />Stuart, pork butts are fatty, that's what makes them sooo... good... - It's also why you need to let them do the long/slow cook - it renders out the fat. The picture is of the last two (both about 6 lbs) butts that met my medium. Both had an internal temp of about 195-200 when they were pulled.[p]For pulled pork sandwiches, check the link - it's a recipe for BBQ sauce that is quick, easy and very good - it all gets done in the blender.

[ul][li]BBQ Sauce![/ul]
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    stuart,
    Our butts always have a bone in them also. Usually they weigh 6-8 pounds. Ours only take about 15 hours at 250*. Chelsie, our German Shepard, loves when we do pulled pork because she always gets the bone. In fact, I have one waiting in the freezer for when the weather warms up some. [p]~nikki

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    nikkig,[p]I just put one in the freezer from a butt I took off this morning. I have to save them up, not to wait for a warm day, but to make sure I have 3 at a time to hand out or we'll have a dog unhappy about being left out![p]Life is good when the first thing you do in the morning is go take your butt off the smoker and have pulled pork for breakfast![p]QBabe
    :~)

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    QBabe,
    I only have one dog to please with bones. Even my cat likes pulled pork. [p]I had some leftover pulled pork in the frige, and was looking at it the other morning thinking about omelets. I wonder if anyone has ever done a pulled pork omelete?[p]~nikki

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    nikkig,[p]Don't know...sounds like something worth trying to me![p]Tonia
    :~)

• nikkig,
    We do pulled pork omeletes every time we do a butt. They are great. Try it with or without the BBQ sauce. They are good both ways.[p]Big John