Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Is it ok to slow cook a turkey

BuzzBuzz Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Many moons ago when I had no idea what I was doing, I bought a regular smoker off of my friend and tried smoking a turkey. I don't remember what temperature I cooked it at but I know it was low and I cooked the bird for about 12 hours (18 pounder or so). I had injected it with a Garlic/Rosemary marinade.

It came out wonderful but I will say that I never did it again because I could not stand waking up every 2 hours to add charcoal.

Now I am a more experienced smoker and I have a BGE.

When I bought it, I knew that someday I would cook a turkey in it. That time has come. Everywhere I look though, the recipes call for only a few hours of cook time at a 350 degree temp.

Is it not wise to slow cook a turkey in the BGE like I did so long ago in a standard smoker?

Comments