Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Turkey Question on Large & Small BGE

Options
Pharmeggist
Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Eggheads,
I have convinced my Parents to let me do the Turkeys' for Thanksgiving. Mom Wanted to spend 50+ dollars on a Pecan Wood smoked Turkey. I Wanted to do one TUrkey smoked with Apple Wood and Hickory. Any Thoughts. I thought about following the Mad Max recipe but I don't plan to do the Gravy. Also, I just want to stuff the Birds with peeled apples.

I have two ten pound Butterball Turkeys. I am planning to cook one Bird on the Small and one Bird on the Large becasue I want to use different woods for smoking.

ANy help would be appreciated as for as dome temp set-up etc. otherwise I will wing it best I can.

Thanks in advance!
~Pharmeggist

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    10 pound turkeys?? Dem big Chickens :)

You need to make sure that bird will fit on a small first. Get yourself a couple balloons and blow them up to the size of the turkey. Put in the small as you would the turkey you want to cook and shut the lid. If it doesn't pop you are good to go.

Hopefully you have a plate setter or Chubby's Grate mates for that small.

Finding a roaster for the small will not be easy. I have a baking pan that will hold a large chicken, but it might be small for a 10 pound bird.

Temps will be the same on either egg.
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    I have a plate setter for the small and Large BGE. I am planning to use an Aluminum pan... is this ok??? I was going to use platesetter legs up with turkey in pan breast side up. Did I say Breast side up LOL :silly: Anyway, I will heed your advice and try and take the BIrd out of the fridge tomorrow and see if it will fit in the small ;) If not I will go with plan B.... which I haven't made up yet :huh:
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    pete gave you some good advice. ..as for wood. .. i think hickory is a bit strong for turkey but that's your choice. ...apple is great for turkey. ...and stuffing them with some apple only (as opposed to the way i do it with it apple/onion/lemon, is fine too. .. . you outa make gravy though. ...thats the key to to the whole deal!!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    that will fit in the small just fine. I have shoe horned a 13 pounder in ours and it was great. but she was stuffed in there. I did rotate the pan a few times when I basted to just help with air flow. that was not easy. I did it at the family reunion after I had pulled of the pulled pork and trying to make sure it had rest time when it came off was almost impossible. there were pieces missing if I left it at all. it was like a game who could sneak in and steal some! it was like having a bunch of hungry dogs circling me! LOL plus I did have 4 dogs that sat by the table and drooled from a 6 pound mix up to a standard poodle and golden. to funny. but they were better than the humans!
  • Laker
    Laker Posts: 110
    Options
    My only suggestion would be to be sure and put something under your pan on the small. The pan will be close to the fire and you run the risk of burning whatever part of the bird in on the bottom of the pan. Use small ceramic tiles, rolled up balls of aluminum foil or whatever to raise the pan up off the platesetter.

Pecan is the best smoke for the bird.