Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bless me father for I have sinned...

Options
Dimple's Mom
Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
...today I purchased 4 boneless turkey breasts to cook on Thursday, in the oven, instead of a whole turkey. No one here eats the legs or any of the dark meat, no one helps me cook any of the meal, or clean up, and I am tired of hassling with it all! So this year I'm making it easy on myself.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    30 lashes with the ash tool. Can't say I blame you with the lack of help your getting but lack of cleanup is one of the reasons I prefer the Egg over the square box with the clock. Hope you enjoy your holiday.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    I'll help cook. ;)
    Grab a wine, you deserve a break.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    do not feel guilty... if the crowd is that 'picky' and offers no help i would feed them boiled hotdogs and instant mashed potatoes.
    i seem to be a bit grumpy tonight so i will stop here .
    bill
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Well Gwen, I hope it turns out ok. It's tough to go back to oven baked turkey. :unsure: If I didn't get any help, they'd get their own "turkey hungry man dinner" to cook themselves.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    That is also one of the reasons I love my eggs. clean up is minimal
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    I'll confess - they are probably going to be getting boxed mash potatoes. :woohoo: The husband actually prefers them. Go figure.

I will admit that my oldest son, Jeff, who will be home, and his girlfriend Danielle, who will also be here, will undoubtedly help me cook and clean up. But I don't think either of them cares in the least, or can even tell the difference, between boxed and real potatoes.

And the turkey will be delicious. I'll brine it briefly and season it, and the Aga roasts to perfection - there will be lots of white meat - everyone will be happy. Gravy will be a problem - guess there will be packaged gravy as well. :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    But what about all the sides? That's where the real mess comes in.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC04204a.jpg

I sort of do that. Heheeee.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    You cook on an Aga and your husband "prefers" instant potatoes??? :evil: :S :blink: to pay for your sins you must dismantle the Aga and ship it to ME. then all will be forgiven. I don't think one is in my to near future as it looks like we are buying the property next to us for a rental. so no Aga.... just another tenet :angry: but it sits to close to our property line and will be to cheep to let it go on the market.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    "no dark meat".

welcome to america, home of the chicken nugget.

we have places near us that make chicken and turkey pies that contain either all-white or a mix of white-and-dark meat. the white meat is sold at a premium. fine with me. the dark has more flavor, and is cheaper cuzza the strange "all white must be better" thinking of folks in the marketing department.

it's klike venison, or any other non-standard meat. people say something's "gamey" when it doesn't taste like beef or chicken. i don't get it. maybe the venison tastes like venison? hahha

keep the people happy, and have a good thanksgiving. you can eat what you want the other 364 days of the year (unless they make you cook for the other holidays!)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    do what my mom did.

she'd pick up the platter of turkey and say "jim, could you collect the plates and bring them into the kitchen?" and ask someone else, "john, honey, can you be a dear and bring the veggies in the kitchen for me" etc.

i have a neighbor who is always shoveling the driveway so his college aged son and daughter can get out of the driveway. i don't understand why they don't help, let alone do it themselves. but when all else fails, don't be afraid to ask and 'ask' with authority!
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Gwen,

Just get some turkey backs and necks. Roast them for an hour at 400, throw in some mirepoix for a half hour and throw them in cold water. Simmer for four or five hours, strain and cool. Take the fat off and reduce by half. Deglaze your roaster with white wine and add to the stock. Add cornstarch in water and boil. Your gravy will be awesome

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    It's his sin, really, not mine. I prefer real. But when you have picky eaters, sometimes you just wonder why bother. This is one of those weeks!

Look around for a used refurbished one. You can get them fairly often for a fraction of the new cost.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Excellent idea, Steve, I will do that. Thanks!
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    That's what I wanted to get, but the store didn't have them. I would have had to drive a bit to [/i]maybe get them, and I figured what the hey.

Those look very nice, btw!
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    He just emailed me that work is giving him one on Wednesday. I guess no one at work plans ahead! It'll have to go into the freezer I guess. Or I can freeze the 4 boneless and pull them out one at a time. I have a hard time timing the defrosting of a large turkey.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    After preparing an elaborate feast last year involving nearly every pot, pan, plate and silverware item in the house, we vowed "never again". We're making good on our vow (this year, anyway) and going to a T-day buffet. Friday my vegan niece is coming over and I'm fixing a Tofurky. Talk about sinning...
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Say 10 "Our Father's" and 10 "Hail Mary's" and you will be forgiven, child!! :woohoo:
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I forgive thee, my Child --

Say ten Ave-Egeeias and five Gobble-Nosters, take two aspirin and report back in the morning.

;)
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I saw Alton Brown on his new crazy live turkey talk show the other night explain that if you float your frozen turkey in a 5 gallon bucket of water & let water drip on it thusly forming a convection it'll thaw in about 8 hours
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania