Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plank Cooking

Options
Hammer
Hammer Posts: 1,001
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know that this has been discussed before, but I need a refresher course. The other evening I was in a restaurant that featured salmon cooked on a cedar plank. It was outstanding!
I inquired the Chef, and was told he charred the plank lightly before he put the salmon on top of the plank to cook. Being slightly toasted myself, I didn't get the full details, as to temps; cooking times etc; but I did ask where he got the cedar planks. He said at the local Home depot, or lumber yard, but the wood must be untreated.
I would appreciate any help the forum can supply!
Thanks
Hammer [p]

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Hey Mitch,[p]I have not done one of these and until someone who has comes along, here is a basic recipe for you to read... there is also a recipe for salmon on an alder plank @ http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/newRecipes/seafood0088.htm[p]Hope this answers some of your questions.... off to work![p]John
    [ul][li]Salmon on Cedar[/ul]
  • Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    Options
    Hammer,
    I buy my cedar planks at BBQ's Galore. They work fine although I would prefer alder for salmon. I just soak the plank, lay the salmon filet skin side down, and let the Egg do its magic.[p]I posted a recipe for planked potlatch salmon on the forum. It's killer if you like a little spice![p]Earlier on the forum, there was discussion on being assured that planks bought from lumber yards be absolutely untreated. Specialty cooking planks are exponentially more expensive, but provide for peace of mind.[p]Hope that helps.[p]Kip

• Hammer
    Options
    Kip,
    Could you give me the details of the recipe; I have been traveling a lot lately, and have been unable to go the green room as often as I want to.
    Thanks
    Mitch

• Grate Grills
    Options
    Hammer,
    I do this quite often, make a great presentation if you just leave it on the plank. Soak plank in water at least 15 min. I prefer to take the skin off the salmon fillet. I think you get more flavor from the plank. Lay salmon on the plank, rub some oil on the fillet, season with whatever you like, lemon pepper, garlic, kosher salt, whatever. I allways finish with either pure maple syrup or brown sugar on top. This last step makes a nice glaze on the fish and takes the slight "fishy" taste away. Put on egg direct aprox 325 to 350 and close lit for thirty min. Salmon is done as soon as the flesh firms up to the touch. If you wait untill it "Flakes" its over done. Kurt

• Hammer
    Options
    Grate Grills,
    That recipe is eactly what I am looking for. I just needed to pointed in the right direction. Do you have anymore recipes to use planks for?
    Thanks Again,
    Hammer

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Hammer,
    As I was reading this thread I decided to search google and found this clip, it's kind of a hoot to watch. I have a dial up so it took a little longer to load then I like but it was interesting to see the plank on fire around the outside edges.
    Good Luck,
    New Bob

[ul][li]Clip Link[/ul]
  • Hammer,[p]The first chef in Seattle to serve salmon on a plank was John Howie. That was about ten years ago and now several Seattle restaurants have it on their menus. It truly is delicious. Both alder and cedar work well for salmon, but personally I prefer the alder (as did the native Americans who regularly cooked their salmon this way).[p]Two web sites might be helpful. [p]plankcooking.com is John Howie's site. It’s a good site for plank recipes but his prices are high for the planks. He was featured on Martha Stewart’s show last year.[p]Gillandfin.com/cookware has better prices for planks. Both have cookbooks for sale. Both have plank cookbooks. The original cookbook is called Chinooks, but there are others.

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    Hammer,
    I haven't gone at it yet, but I've been wanting to do an alder planked salmon. Recently though, I've been seeing quite a few demonstrations on the telly of different planking techniques, all claiming to be derived from traditional Native American practices. One show traveled deep into the Pacific Northwest and had a demostration of tribesmen making 4 foot cedar spears and skewering whole salmon and filets head to tail, then posting the spears in a circle around and open fire. The Phantom Gourmet, a local cable news show, had a review of a restaurant out on Nantucket, that demostrated their version with a 3 foot tall by about 1 foot diameter strap iron cage filled with burning lump, while the salmon filets were, I believe tied, to cedar paddles and arranged to stand vertically, again in a circle, facing the flames. They got an excellent review for this house specialty and my wife and have been planning to take the ferry over just to try this restaurant.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    Options
    Hammer,
    Planked Potlatch Salmon
    Submitted by: Kip

[p]Ingredients:
    • 1 Alder Plank
    • 4 Corriander Seeds
    • 2 Small whole red peppers
    • 4 tsp Kosher salt
    • 2 tsp Dried basil
    • 2 tsp Dried oregano
    • 2 tsp Paprika
    • 1 tsp Ground red pepper
    • 1 3 pound Salmon filet [p]
    Preparation Directions:
    • Soak plank in water to cover for 3 hours; drain. [p]Process corriander seeds and whole red peppers in a food processor for 1 minute or until finely crushed. Add kosher salt and next 4 ingredients; process 5 seconds.[p]Rub seasoning mixture on flesh side of Salmon. Wrap Salmon in heavy duty plastic wrap and chill for 3 hours.[p]Bring Egg to a consistent temperature between 350 and 400 degrees. [p]Cooking Directions:
    • Place seasoned Salmon on plank. Place in Egg (directly on grid) for 27 minutes or until flesh flakes with a fork. Serve directly from plank and discard plank when through.[p]Yields 8 servings. [p]
  • Basselope
    Basselope Posts: 102
    Options
    I do almost all of my cooking of salmon on cedar planks. I use 8" wide fence boards that I buy from the home despot and cut them down. (Yes I buy the untreated ones.)
    I soak them for about 30 minutes and then place the fish on top. I use skin on due to the rough finish of the board. The skin will stick and the fish comes off the skin.
    I posted about my last cook a couple of days ago.
    Tsunami Spin rub with a little kosher salt.
    Cover with fresh dill.
    Place over direct at about 500*
    Cook for about 20-25 minutes.
    Remove to a fireproof tray and serve.
    The water in the wood steams the fish and infuses the cedar flavor.
    Now if I could just find some alder fence planks....