Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I want to cook the perfet brisket

Options
Still Smokin'
Still Smokin' Posts: 76
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just purchased a 4 1/2 lb. cryopack brisket flat. Never tried to cook a small brisket before. It doesn't look like it has a nice thick fat layer. Usually I cook indirect at 225 degrees for 18 or so hours for a 8 or 9 lb brisket. How long do you think it will take for a this 2" or so thick 4 1/2 pounder? I am hoping to start it in the morning, early and eat tomorrow night. Did the overnight 19 hour pork shoulder last Friday, it almost seems criminal to be able to eat this good at home any time you want, let alone anywhere else.[p]Also, I usually just use a basic Q rub using a mixture of kosher salt, brown sugar, chili powder, garlic, paprika, onion powder, cayenne and pepper. Does anyone have a great rub that's "it" on a brisket or a marinade? I'm open to suggestions. I saw one recipe that looked good, see link. I don't have any cider, oh well.

[ul][li]Apple Barbecue Brisket[/ul]

Comments

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Options
    still smokin',[p]I got my egg about 15 months ago, and it took me about 6 of those months figuring out how to get a good brisket, and I mean GOOD!!!![p]I use Stogie's Yum Yum Steak seasoning for the rub.[p]4 tablespoon(s) Salt
    2 tablespoon(s) Paprika
    1 tablespoon Black pepper, coarsely ground
    1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Onion powder
    1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Garlic powder
    1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon Coriander
    1/2 teaspoon Turmeric[p]Rub this into the meat, and then wrap it up and stick it in the fridge for a few hours, or overnite. Then take it out, and while it's coming up to room temp, pour a half-cup of Spicy A-1 Steak sauce into a bowl, and then mix in enough 'prepared horseradish' until you have a thick, sticky goop. The take a basting brush, and paint the 'goop' all over the brisket.[p]Cook indirect at 225* (cooking) level until you reach an internal of 195*. Then take a fork and check for tenderness in the flat. If the meat wants to "pull" when you remove the fork, it needs to cook so more. An hour later, give it another fork test until you're satisfied with the tenderness.[p]Believe me. You should try this one![p]

• Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    Options
    still smokin',
    I highly recommend Elder Ward's World Class Brisket, posted on the forum. It was the best I've ever had. Try the beans also.[p]Kip

• Still Smokin'
    Options
    DavidR,
    Recipe looks great, I will try it next time. I had already made-up a rub and marinated overnight. This was the smallest brisket I had made and I was concerned it would be tough. I cooked from 9:30 am yesterday till 5:00 at 230 degrees or so. Temp was 175 and it felt tough. I cranked the grill up to 280-300 degrees and left two more hours. Checked temp, at 205 degrees. No longer tough. [p]We cut across the grain and found it to be fork tender. I have tried to cook briskets over the years on a varity of grills and smokers, but never have had much luck. The EGG keeps it moist and the forum and members websites teach you how to cook. Now that I have figured out the final temperature of the meat is the most important part of cooking process for brisket.