Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turkey in med

Options
Kgbrdh
Kgbrdh Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
1st whole turkey in med. can i take the fire ring out and use the platesetter to allow room for the turkey to fit?

Comments

• jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    How big a bird are you dealing with? If you take the fire ring out, watch the ends of your pan if they hang over the edge of the platesetter -- they'll scorch the drippings pretty easily.
  • Kgbrdh
    Options
    I'm using a 15 lber. if i use the fire ring and plate setter the grid is too high into the dome. not sure the best set up for this. I want an inderect method and a drip pan. any suggestions??
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Try this.

Plate setter upside down. No grid. Roasting pan elevated off plate setter (use the feet that came with your Egg or four equal sized balls of aluminum foil. Bird in Vee- rack in roasting pan. If you don't have a roaster, use 2 or 3 of the throw away ones stacked together.

I've done one that size in my medium, but I didn't use a plate setter, just a drip pan setting on the grid.

I would be a little concerned about being able to get enough fuel in the fire box if you take the ring out.

Check out Mad Max's site. All his set ups are on the large, but the inverted plate setter with an elevated roasting pan was his standard set up before he got some stuff from Ceramic Grill Store.
  • Kgbrdh
    Options
    thanks,,,, I'll send a pic when the beautiful bird comes out!!!!HAppy Thanksgiving
  • Eggscaper
    Options
    Just did a turkey in a med ( 12#) you might want to put Alum. foil on top. Seem that the bird is so close to the top it tends to scorch the top. with the foil on top it won't do it and then you can take the foil off towards the end of the cook to brown the skin

Doug
    Dallas,Ga