Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Brining?

BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been reading about dry brining a turkey, and I might try this method this year.

With dry brining, you rub the skin with salt and let it sit in the fridge for three days. Then you let it rest in the fridge uncovered overnight (to help the skin get crisp).

Has anyone done a turkey this way? If I do this, I'll have to buy my turkey tonight and get started.

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Not sure about this but ya might be pullin moisture OUT of the bird with a dry cure.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    It sounded odd to me, too. However, there was an article oin the L.A. Times about it. The article said it was a case of the dry salt first pulling the moisture out of the turkey, and then, in a sealed bagged, the moisture would migrate back in. They're taste test showed the method as being better than regular brining. But it did take days longer.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Seems to me that the finish product would be too salty and dry for my taste anyhow. Dry cure is a sure bet for more fatty, oily meats and fish. Turkeys are lean and respond well to brining. Speaking of....I'm pulling my drumsticks out of the brine bucket after lunch. I'll report back on the 'cider brine' I used after this evenings pre-Thanksgiving cook.

Good luck BluesnBBQ! If ya go dry let us know how it turns out.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Read the LA Times article and recipe. Very interesting. It's just a little more salt than I would normally use, just applied 3 days before the cook. Think I'll blend that into my MM. I was going to buy my turkey today, anyway.
  • mookie
    mookie Posts: 26
    Jeff, r u in Springfield, Mo? I am in Nixa...howdy neighbor! I am also intrigued by the whole dry brine method. My turkey is still frozen, though, so I'd have to quick thaw it tonight!
    Stacey
  • jeffinsgf
    Yep. I'm north of Springfield about 10 miles on Highway 13. Kinda just as far from town as you are, but out in the sticks instead of if the fastest growing part of the area! Headed to Harter House this afternoon to get a fresh bird about 18 pounds.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I used to fish with my grandfather many years ago on a small lake up Hwy 13 between Springfield and Bolivar. He lived south of Springfield right by the Evans Rd. exit before you get to Ozark.

I still have family in the Kickapoo area and some that live out in Republic.
  • jeffinsgf
    Would that be Stockton? Wouldn't exactly call that a "small" lake, but it's not huge, either. McDaniel is up here, and it is small, but it's quite a way off 13.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Not thinking of Stockton, though we fished there as well. This was a small private lake, not much more than a large pond really. I just have some fond memories of my youth spent in that part of the country.

Used to spend a couple weeks every summer over at Roaring River too.
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Sounds like that is a method for koshering any meat. Basically they bury the meat in salt. Kosher meat is definitely saltier than the regular brines that I use. have fun!
  • jeffinsgf
    It's a good place to have childhood memories from. I grew up 50 miles SE of Springfield, then moved to KC when I got out of college. 20ish years later, I was ready get back to the Ozarks. KC never felt like home. A few weeks after we moved in here, it felt like we'd lived here all our life and we would never think of leaving. Let us know when you're visiting the area. The Egg's always ready to entertain!
  • I read the article and I'm trying it - bird is in the fridge with the salt-tub on it as we speak. 20 pounder, used 4 tablespoons of kosher salt.

Scott
  • I'm doing a side by side with a plain breast, a brined breast and a dry-brined breast. Needless to say, I'll be writing up the results....
    The Naked Whiz
  • I'll look forward to your scientific results Naked Whiz!

eenie meenie
  • mookie
    mookie Posts: 26
    Harter House, huh? Do you think the turkeys there are a higher quality? Are they expensive?
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    What, are you trying to convert Pete or something? :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP