Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rolled porkloin?

Options
cooksome
cooksome Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone remember a recipe with a porkloin rolled in sausage and wraped with bacon? Thanks

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    How about one stuffed w/sausage and wrapped with bacon??

Pork, Loin, Stuffed W/Apple Sausage, Bacon Wrapped, Big'un's Triple Threat

Ok Gang, As promised, here's the recipe. I got inspired to make this while talking with Car Wash Mike via Email about his apple sausage. Even though this apple sausage recipe very different from his(made from scratch), it really adds a lot of moisture and flavor to the finished product. Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS:
    1 pork loin
    1 lb of bacon for every half loin(typically)
    cooking twine(no not wine, although...)
    1 roll of Jimmy Dean Sausage
    3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
    1/4 cup of white wine (I like chablis)
    1 small onion
    1 large apple cored and diced
    2 tbls of your favorite rub + extra for seasoning

Procedure:
    1 at this point, add anything else you like to the sausage mix, kalamada olives,crushed red peppers, sun dried tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, diced mushrooms, spices, etc. Anything that adds moisture or flavor will work, make it your own!)
    2 Prep.Take out loin and typically they are already cut into two pieces. Each piece is considered by me to be one loin. Cut away any fat or silver skin. The toughest part of this cook is the prep. I use a tool I made to cut a hole in the loin for stuffing, the same effect could be used by merely slicing 2/3rds into the loin to allow for the sausage stuffing. After prepping the loin return it to the refrigerator.
    3 Mix the last six ingredients(and any extras) in a bowl. Stuff the loin w/sausage and return to refrigerator. Get out the bacon and separate it. You'll see later that this expedites the wrapping process. Cut the twine in large enough pieces to tie the loin. Lay them out on your prep board, spacing them about two inches apart. Sprinkle the rub on the outside of loin and lay it on the front third of the twine. Start to wrap the bacon length wise. After you have wrapped all you can, use the twine to help rotate the loin leaving the bacon intact. Cover the rest of the loin and tie snuggly.
    4 Cook at 325F dome, indirect, platesetter legs up, drip pan underneath grate, pull at 140F internal, tent with foil and let rest. Enjoy! Juicy and a great presentation .

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Big'un, 2007/10/23
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Sorry,it's in there somewhere,but I couldn't find the other link that I was looking for :blush:
  • cooksome
    Options
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Roast Pork Loin Roulade

This recipe is for cooking a full pork loin – about a 10 lb roast. The recipe is for cooking it outdoors, in a Big Green Egg [www.biggreenegg.com], and you may need to adjust it for your indoor kitchen oven. Of course, you can roast a smaller hunk-a meat… A full loin will serve 14 – 20 people.

I have, over the past year, cooked pork loin for groups of 30, 40 and even 150 -- on my Medium Egg, no less! [See note below]

What is a roulade? Fancy French word for "stuffing." A pork roulade is a stuffed pork loin. When you're done, it will look like a jelly roll -- but be of pork and stuffing [of course!].

Prepping a full 10 lb pork loin --

Pork loin is as lean as chicken! Very little fat -- so pork dries out easily. Unless you have a large pan, cut the loin in half, creating two 5-lb roasts. To help keep the meat moist, I ALWAYS butterfly the loin -- that is, slice it so that it lays out, like unrolling a scroll. It's best to get the meat quite cold [but not frozen] to do this. When the meat is stiff, it's easier to control when slicing.

I season the inside [S & P, herbs, sauteed garlic and onion] and layer it with fruit, nuts, sometimes Italian sausage... Italian sausage and apricots -- yum! The sky's the limit! I’ve created raspberry roulades, apricot roulades, apple roulades… If you feel necessary, use rice as a base for the roulade, and add whatever you’d like.
    Now -- remember, pork is very lean... and everything tastes better with bacon. Fry some bacon, and place it inside the butterflied roast, along with your fruit, cheese, leafy-veggies and whatever else you have inside the roast. The bacon adds taste, and just as important, give the meat some fat to help keep it moist.

Then, I roll it back up, so it now looks like a "jellyroll". Tie it firmly every 1.5 inches or so.
    Apply your favorite dry rub to the exterior, wrap it in plastic -- and put it in the fridge overnight. Dr. BBQ’s Dry Rub recipe below.

The Next Day -- Cook Day...

Let the pork sit out for up to an hour to warm up to approach room temp before roasting. The exterior of the roast will be "messy," and the dry rub will no longer be dry. Don't worry about it -- take it to the fire! You'll still get a great crust.

Bring the Egg to HOT -- as in 600+F. Now, don't show off! Yes, the Egg will heat to 1000F -- but unless you're a lot better at searing and controlling the depth of sear than I... 1000F is a little excessive. Even 500F will give a good sear.

Recommend searing direct with a cast iron grid. When you turn the meat, pick the roast up with tongs, and place it down on an "unused" portion of the grid. Remember, the meat cools the metal, but remains hot-hot-hot where the meat hasn't touched. When you're ready to turn to another "side," the first part of the cast iron grid will have heated back up again.

When searing, don't "rip" the meat off the metal. If the meat is "sticking," wait. When you've got a good char, the meat will release from the metal. This is true of indoors or out, on all cast iron surfaces. Puleeeeze! -- When cooking indoors, don't use non-stick for searing! [Shudder!]

Sear the roast about 2 min on all sides. Pull the roast, and drop the Egg [oven] to 350F -- 375F. 400F isn't too hot... If you’re cooking indoors, bring a cast iron griddle to high heat for the sear, or broil for 2 min/side.
    Set up for an indirect cook, 350F – 375+F, with drip pan.
    Keep liquid in the drip pan [anything, even water. I prefer apple cider.] Don't let the drip pan dry out, or the drippings from the roast will burn and the roast will pick up "stinkies..." Not good eats!

Roast until 140F-- 145F internal -- won't take long after searing... maybe 40 minutes.

Pull at 140+F internal. Now -- Very Important! Double wrap the roast in heavy duty aluminum foil to keep juices from “leaking.” Further wrap the roast in several clean, old towels, and place the roast in a "cooler" chest for at least 1/2 hour -- up to four hours. The roast will "carry over" cook another 6 - 12 degrees, and get very juicy.

A side comment about internal temps. Your grandmother was taught that the internal temps of pork needed to be 170F. Gaaaaah! This makes great shoe leather... but 170F degree pork is completely dried out. Thet Be dead meat, Bro!

Use an instant-read thermometer to determine the internal temp of your meats. Your children will love you, your guests will praise you... and you'll never serve raw or burnt meat again.

Have I mentioned, yet -- 145F internal?

After several hours in the "cooler" -- slice 'n-serve!

Have you noticed -- with this technique [HDfoil, towels and cooler], you don't have to time the roast... Cook it early and serve it at your pleasure. This is true of any roast. Try it with tri-tip [internal temp 130F for med rare].

Get used to hearing... "I've never eaten a pork loin this good!" Respond with modesty, and give all credit to the Egg.

BTW -- make a simple fruit glaze to serve on top of the roast slices. Apple roulade, apple glaze... apricot roulade, apricot-dijon glaze... And don't forget to add some crushed bacon to the glaze!

Everything better... oh, you've got that one figgered out!
    Smiles!

~ Broc
    B)

This is a very good and basic BBQ Dry Rub. It works well on any food for smoking or grilling. Compliments of DrBBQ [Ray Lampke], National BBQ Champion. www.drbbq.com
    - 1/2 cup salt
    - 1/2 cup Turbinado sugar
    - 1/4 cup granulated brown sugar
    - 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
    - 1 tablespoon granulated onion
    - 2 tablespoons paprika
    - 2 tablespoon chili powder
    - 2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
    - 2 teaspoons cayenne
    - 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
    - 1 tablespoon ground cumin
    - 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    Mix ingredients together
    Store in dark, cool, dry place, airtight container

How can I feed 150 with a Medium Egg?

You already know this answer! I roast two loins [20 lbs] at once, wrap 'em, and stash 'em in a cooler. Then, I roast another two, stash 'em! Then another two!
    By the time I've roasted 60 lbs of pork, which will feed 150, the first roasts are still piping hot and juicy as can be. Transport 'em to the feed site, and serve 'em in the order they were roasted, to give the "last" ones as much cooler time as possible.

Pace-a Keek!

broc 4 brockway at yahoo dot com