Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seasoning platesetter

Options
Love Handles
Love Handles Posts: 253
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My friend just gave me a brand new platesetter from BGE--I am wondering if you need to season it or is it ready to go. My new pizza stone suggests we season it for about 6 hours before using it
Thanks for the help you guys

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Lovehandles,[p]It has been kiln fired at 2000° already - it's ready - use it. Mine has gotten wet and I still used it for pizza with no harm. [p]Tim
  • CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    Tim M, will moisture hurt a platesetter. I typically leave mine outside leaning against a block wall-- rain or shine, sprinklers, ets.I didn't think moisture would bother it. Am I mistaken?[p]Thanks

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    CR,[p]My platesetter has never seen the inside. Been outside it's entire 3 year career, and I live in Chicago.[p]My guess is it will be just fine.[p]Mick
  • hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    Moisture that seeps into the stone can do things that are potentially harmful: one, freeze, expand and crack; two, boil, expand and crack. There is many a story of a wet stone placed into a hot fire that goes crack. Therefore, in theory, it is best to keep the thing dry, especially if you plan to toss it into a very very hot egg.[p]Having said that, I keep mine outside in the rain and the snow.
  • CR
    Options
    hounddog, I agree with you that, in theory, moisture in a crack or void in the platesetter could potentially cause a problem. Since I do not recall ever seeing a posting regarding cracked platesetters I have to think that they are probably very durable. [p]Will continue, like you, to leave mine outside.

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    lots of posts about off brand stones going boom. not too many about the house brand. It appears to be stronger and thicker material.[p]
  • CR
    Options
    hounddog, right, and those postings are always regarding baking stones. I have never seen a complaint about a cracked platesetter; platesetters also seem to be made of the same material and about the same thickness as the BGE baking stone.

• Love Handles
    Options
    Tim M,[p]Thanks for the information.