Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

deep dish pizza

Options
Rick's Tropical Delight
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i found some pizza dough in the freezer and i thought i'd try a deep dish pizza in the bottom of the la cloche. :woohoo:

deepdishpizza-001.jpg

deepdishpizza-007.jpg

deepdishpizza-009.jpg

i need to try this again with fresher dough. give me your best deep dish pizza dough recipe! :P

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    That looks good. I've had some success with this recipe.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/papadels.php
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Here is a link to a recipe I have used several times with outstanding results...
    http://www.pizzamaking.com/dkm_chicago.php
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i love deep dish!!!! pretty tastey stuff!!

DSCN0266.jpg

that is one i made.. here is a dough recepie from large marge i tried it and it was very good!!

Pizza, Dough & Sauce, Large Marge

A week ago I posted this recipe below and found a bunch of you knew about Lou Malnati's and their signature cornmeal crust deep dish pizza. Weather was phenomenal in Atlanta today and I couldn't resist making a giant pie for us and the neighbors. Crust was unbelievable! Here are some pics laced in with the recipe I posted before: The secret to great deep dish pizza is the cornmeal crust. Chicagoans are deeply divided over the best pizza, but mine is Lou Malnati's.

Here's the dough recipe:
    1 Tbs sugar
    1 cup warm (110-115 F) water
    1 envelope active dry yeast
    2 1/4 cups bread flour
    1 cup yellow cornmeal
    1 tsp salt
    1/3 cup EVOO

1 Dissolve sugar in the warm tap water and then sprinkle the yeast and stir (water that is too hot will kill it, too cold and it won't activate). Wait 3-5 minutes and ensure a beige foam is forming. I use a kitchen aid mixer- combine 2 cups of the flour and cornmeal in the mixing bowl, then add the yeast mixture, salt, and oil. Attach flat beater and mix about 1 minute. Replace with dough hook and continue mixing and kneading about 5 minutes. Use the remaining 1/4 cup flour if needed, to get the dough ball kneaded to a smooth, elastic consistency- not too sticky!
    2 After kneading shape dough into a ball, coat the bowl with olive oil and coat all sides of the dough, cover bowl with wrap and allow to double in bulk in a warm area. Punch down as soon as it has doubled, shape back into a ball and we're ready.
    3 Here's the cornmeal doughball nearly doubled in size...
    4 Meanwhile my egg has been preheating with pizza stone to 500+ a good 30-60 mins...
    5 Reserve in a bowl: 1 28 can Italian whole plum tomatoes (no seeds, drained, crush with hands while removing seeds), mix with 4 crushed garlic cloves, 2 tbs minced fresh basil (and/or oregano), and salt to taste.
    6 Here is the tomato topping...much different than traditional sauce!
    7 Press the cornmeal dough into the deep-dish pizza pan (should be enough dough for a 15 inch, or divide and do 2 9 inch pans). Cover with plastic wrap and let dough rise again for about 20 mins. Prick the crust bottom every 1/2 inch with fork.
    8 I'm using a 14" pan, seems huge! But plenty of dough with one ball...
    9 Bake: 4 mins on egg-- CRUST ONLY!! remove and brush crust with olive oil. Spread mozz cheese to cover the bottom (max it out!), then spoon on the tomatoes. Sprinkle with parm cheese and top with whatever (Lou's ital sausage is heaven). NOW-- put completed pizza back on egg and bake through- should be 20-30 mins.
    10 Cheesed, topped, drizzled with oil, parm cheese topping, and on the egg for 20-30 mins
    11 Almost ready...note how the crust pulls away from the pan- a good sign!!
    12 The finished pie... counting down the minutes till its cool enough!
    13 A slice of heaven- the egg kept the cornmeal crisp, you can turn this upside down!
    14 BEST OF LUCK!!

Recipe Source
    Author: Large Marge

Source: BGE Forum on 2008/03/02

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Eggoholic
    Options
    made this one last week
    Luci003.jpg
  • AK Grill Guy
    Options
    Just got a Medium Egg last week for my birthday last week and have used it for the last 6 nights in a row and love it. I have been read the forums quite a bit and this looks like one of the best deep dish pizza post so far. This is something I want to try out soon and have a couple quick questions. Can I do a 14 inch pizza on the medium Egg or is that too big? Also can I do this on the grill rack with the plate setter? I don’t have the stone yet. I did a Papa Murphy’s that way and it was the best one I ever made.
    Thanks