Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FoodSaver ????'s

Options
jeffinsgf
jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've seen several mentions of the FoodSaver here on the forum. Took a look at their website, and I am very intrigued. A few questions for users.

They make the marinating deal sound great. I sometimes forget to put something in that should marinate over night. Anybody ever use their FoodSaver for marinating?

Do you find any difference at the end of a year on what you spend on rolls or bags compared to ZipLocs, Saran Wrap, and foil? We seem to go through a mountain of that stuff, and if it is at least a wash, that would be great. At first blush, it looks like there might even be a little savings.

What model do you have? Looks like it doesn't cost a lot more to fly first class. The package deal on the 3860 looks like a pretty good deal.

Anyone use the bottle stoppers? I like the idea of vacuum sealing expensive balsamic vinegars, oils, etc. Wine usually doesn't last long enough to get capped. :whistle:

TIA

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Got one. Like it. Get one. You'll like it.

Go first class.

Take a memory course.

Bottles leak.

Spring "Why Use A Lot Of Words To Answer A Simple Question" Chicken

Spring Texas USA
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    hence the memory course? :laugh:
  • momcooks
    momcooks Posts: 247
    Options
    Love mine. I use 2 quart canning jars for containers. The best money saver is cheese, works even better if you wrap it in paper towel before vacuuming.
    I have a V2860, this is my third. I've had one almost since they came out. I marinade in them all the time. I've never used the bottle stoppers, not sure if I tossed them or what.
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    not sure if I tossed them or what.

They don't come with it...they're accessories.

I love the cheese idea. I hate it when I go to use some wonderful piece of left over cheese that I know is in the fridge, and it's growing things.

So on your canning jars you use the "universal lids"?
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Look on Amazon for great deals. We use ours all the time. It great for left over PP and brisket. Good luck, Tom
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    They sell a special marinating dish and claim it speeds the process. I use it from time to time and it's OK. I also have the canister set but long ago quit vacuuming them down after every use! As for a cost comparison vs ZipLoc etc can't say either way but I'm in the camp that uses FoodSaver bags only once - I never wash and reuse. The FS is so handy...just today for instance we went to SAM'S and came home with a dozen pre-formed hamburger patties plus another 7 pounds of ground chuck. I repackage the burgers in 2's and also repackage the beef in .75 lb and 1 lb packages which are the common quantities we use. Just get one, but be careful when you start kicking yourself asking why did you wait so long to buy it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • momcooks
    Options
    I bought one with those and the 'universal lids' don't use them either.

I just use regular canning lids. Widemouth jars. The machines I have have come with that accessory.
    T03-0023-01_2.JPG

I've collected the canisters over the years, but except for stuff too large, the glass jars are easier to wash, and you can reuse the lids for years. I put almost everything in jars, bulk spices, flour, sugar, cereal, coffee, everything.
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    Thanks so much for your help. I think I found my Christmas present.
  • momcooks
    Options
    I don't reuse my bags either. I don't see it as cost effective by the time you wash and try to dry.

Another great use is to reheat stuff that's been frozen. You can just toss the bag in simmering water and walk away. No stove hassles or microwaving. Tamales is probably the best this way.

Here's some of my jars.
    Dsc01591foodsaverjars-vi.jpg
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    They make the marinating deal sound great. I sometimes forget to put something in that should marinate over night. Anybody ever use their FoodSaver for marinating?

We use the canister for marinating all the time. Usually all you need is 20 minutes half an hour. Anything more than that and chicken will get overpowered and over night any marinade with fruit juice or vinegar will turn almost any meat to mush.

Wouldn't be without ours! FWIW we just got a kitchen scale and now when I package pulled pork or anything else we know what the weight is and we mark the packages. IE 4oz. pulled pork is a GOOD sandwich.

Do as Spring Chicken says ;)
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    The FoodSaver is a really great tool to have in your arsenal. We always cook huge amounts of pulled pork, smoked cheese, canadian bacon, gyro meat,etc. You know, things you won't eat large amounts of, unless you're having a party. The amount you save from not tossing meat and other food you can save,will pay for it in no time.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I use mine mainly for raw meat but don't tell Bubba Tim,,He thinks I only bake ;)

100_2598.jpg
  • Happy Hog
    Options
    Have been thinking of getting a food saver for a while now, but was told it would suck the juices,water or moistures into it.
    I was also told that I would have to partly freeze meats and such to keep this from happening.
    Just wondering if this is true and if so, how can it be prevented?
  • EggME
    EggME Posts: 116
    Options
    I have a Foodsaver and just LOVE it! I'm not sure which model because I've had it for a long time. I buy my bags and rolls at Sam's or at Bed, Bath and Beyond with the 20% off coupon.
    I too use the canning jars for a vast amount of things. I love taking a salad to work for lunch and I often make up five salads (without dressing) on Sunday night in the canning jars and seal them. The last one I eat on Friday tastes just as fresh as the first one on Monday! When I'm ready to eat it I open it and pour my dressing in and shake.
    I got one canning top thingie when I bought the machine and I bought the other size as an extra so I have the tops to fit both wide mouth and regular size jars. I would do that again.
    I also have the marinating dish and would also get that again. I think it works great!
  • momcooks
    Options
    Most have drip trays if that happens. They also have a quick seal for liquid stuff. Once you see the air is out you press that button.
  • momcooks
    Options
    I have a regular sized one also, but I never use it. My jars have always been wide mouth. I would love a larger marinater container. I usually use a large canister and roll it around.