Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey Mad Max..

Options
tach18k
tach18k Posts: 1,607
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday you posted your 22# turkey took 7 hours to cook at 325/350. Thats over 30 minutes per pound. If I remember right it takes about 15-20 minutes per pound. something doesnt seem right there, or you got one of those special turkeys. If I plan for 7 hours and it comes done in 4-5 like laster year that a long time in the cooler.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    at 20 minutes/pound 20 X 22lbs= 440 minutes.

equals 7 hours and 20 minutes. That works for me.

at 15 min/# X 22#'s=330 minutes.

That's 5 1/2 hours.

Take an average. I have left 18+ pounders on the counter after cooking with foil on top for and hour and it was great,
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    It works out to be 5.5 hours if you give it 15 minutes per pound. That will get you to about 160° to 170° in the breast.

I've found that a turkey on the EGG can go higher temp in the breast and it is still juicy. So I could almost see 7 hours. I cooked one by accident to 200° in the breast and it was still juicy and had a great texture. Did I mention this happened for a class of 25 people?
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I would think that opening the Egg and basting every 30 minutes would lengthen the cook time. -RP
  • EggHeadFred
    Options
    I was at that class. That Turkey was good.
    Fred V. Smyrna,Ga.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    it was approx 7 hours total time....and i do baste a lot, like every 20 minutes, so that is letting hot air out of the egg. ..and the dome temp is probably hovering around 300 - 325 as a result which puts the temp down in the egg a bit lower (probably right around 300 even). ... so all those factors together adds to the length of the cook ... .if you keep the dome temp up at 325 - 350, don't baste as much, and have a set-up that has the bird higher in the dome (say you have the bird up on the grid), then it will be done faster. . . i always err on the side of caution as a turkey can be finished a good 2--3 hours prior to your meal and will stay nice and warm and moist wrapped in foil. ..actually i prefer it done early so that i can get other stuff done like gravy and mashed taters, etc. .. . .
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Thanks , thats what I was looking for.