Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time for some.....

Options
egret
egret Posts: 4,170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pumpernickle bread! :woohoo: This thing is smellin' good! Gonna cut into it after while with a big slab of butter, split pea soup made with a couple of those ham bones I've been saving and a tossed salad with Joan's signature homemade salad dressing...... :laugh:

Pumpernickel.jpg

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    looks great john ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Where did you end up getting the flour? -RP
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Looks really good John.....care to share the recipe. TKS
  • egret
    Options
    Never did order any.....I substituted rye flour and wheat bran.
  • egret
    Options
    Sure enough, Beli :

Pumpernickel Bread

Ingredients :

1 - 1/2 cups Pumpernickel Flour (or, 1 cup dark rye flour, 1/2 cup oat bran)
    1/4 cup Sugar
    3/4 tsp. Salt
    1 - 1/2 Tbls. unsweetened Cocoa
    2 tsp. minced dried Onion
    1 tsp. instant Coffee
    2 tsp. Carraway Seeds
    1 pinch ground Fennel
    1 Tbls. dry Yeast
    1 - 1/4 cups Water (110 degrees)
    2 Tbls. Vegetable Oil
    2 tsp. Molasses
    2 tsp. Vinegar
    2 - 1/2 to 3 cups Bread Flour

Preparation :

Place pumpernickel flour, sugar, salt, cocoa, dried onion, coffee, carraway
    seeds, ground fennel, and yeast in mixing bowl of kitchen-aid mixer and mix well.
    Add water, vegetable oil, molasses, and vinegar and mix well.
    Attach dough hook., and with machine running, work in bread flour and knead until dough is fairly stiff and no longer sticky.
    Remove from bowl and knead by hand for about 1 minute.
    Place in an oiled bowl, turn to coat, cover with a towel and let rise until doubled in bulk.
    Punch down and knead by hand for about 1 minute.
    Form into desired shape and place on a piece of parchment paper.
    Cover with a towel and let rise until about tripled in size, 1 - 1/2 to 2 hours.
    Stabilize BGE at 375-400 degrees dome temperature with plate setter (legs down), ceramic feet, and pizza stone on ceramic feet.
    Bake for 30 minutes or until done.

Note : I remove the parchment paper from under the loaf after about 10 minutes to aid crust formation on the bottom.
  • egret
    Options
    Thank ya' kindly! :lol:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Nice bread there Jonathon.

Mike
  • egret
    Options
    Thank you, buddy! Been missing you the last few days......hope things are going well.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    ohhhh and for breakfast it would be toasted with cream cheese :) that looks really good!!
  • egret
    Options
    Hmmmmmmm, never thought of that! I may bring some to Ocala next year! "I WILL BE IN OCALA!" too!! :woohoo:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I have an interview Friday, we'll see how that goes. :ohmy: :woohoo:
    Other than that, it is going. You need to make it to Oklahoma this year. Reelgem and I are already planning on cooking some goooooood food.

Mike
  • egret
    Options
    Yeah, it's time we went to that one.......thinkin' seriously about it.....that Reelgem is a very neat lady! :lol:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Nice looking loaf egret. How did that substitution work for you?

I looked for pumpernickel at 2 places for you and struck out. I did find coarse ground rye though at Fresh Market.
  • egret
    Options
    Hey Rod,
    Thank you, my friend, for looking! I appreciate that. We just had a goodly sample of the bread and it was pretty doggone good, if I say so myself! Joan thought it was so good she's having another piece for dessert!! :lol:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    John,
    A few questions...

Your pizza stone is so pristine compared to mine which is a beautiful shiny black. Is that due to heat? Do you use a separate egg for your bread baking or does meat ever get in there also during other cooks?

And lastly - how's our gal doing with her big C treatments? Do we need to have another Egret's Bread Fund raiser?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    guess I'm out of the loop, but I thought you were a self employed hydro-king! What did I miss? SORRY if something bad happened - I don't mean anything nasty!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • egret
    Options
    Ron,
    I use that particular stone for bread only. It never has blackened up! I use it in the oven as well as the egg. Sherri is doing very well, thank you for asking. She's back to work full time and will continue her reduced and specialized treatments through next June. There's a word for the drug she is taking during this period, but, it escapes me at the moment. I'm not planning another fund raiser in the very near future......I know you'd be there for that one, just like you have always been in the past...and, I appreciate you and all those who have extended their hands (and funds) to help......
    Bless all of you!
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Where did you find the flour? It looks great. Pumpernickel is my favorite bread. If you're willing to share the recipe, I'd like to try it. Great job!
  • EggME
    EggME Posts: 116
    Options
    That bread looks great. I may have to try your recipe!
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Pumpernickle..what a strange word...
  • egret
    Options
    I substituted rye flour and wheat bran for the pumpernickle. Here's the recipe :

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=544114&catid=1
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I won't believe it until I see that puppy sliced open. That could be a close-up shot of a mushroom, LOL! Man, I gotta make some bread!!!
    The Naked Whiz