Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib temp when done?

Redpig
Redpig Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am smoking 3 racks of loin back ribs using the 3/1/1.5 method. I have done these using this techniques a few times and I was wondering if there is a certain temp to use versus the time noted above. Everytime I've done ribs using GFW's method they've come out excellent. The last time they were exceptional and I think the temp was about 190 internal. Is this to high or can I pull them sooner? Hats off to TimM, JSlots, GFW and others who have given me very useful info in the past. Getting ready to add a small or medium to soon and won't stop there! I'm using my old smoker as a storage container for my supplies for the BGE! Also makes a nice shelf for my favorite beverage.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Redpig,
    I go for the gold when my Thermopen says 185° in the meat between the bones, but don't be fooled when they first come out of the foil they are higher than that. Works for me!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Redpig
    RRP,
    Thanks. 185 sounds reasonable. I don't check the temp out of the foil anyway. I put the probe in when it goes direct/ I have a very nice rub recipe if you want it. Makes for a wonderfully tasty rib unlike any you've ever had.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Redpig, I'd be honored if you care to email it to me or post right here for all to see.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Redpig
    RRP,
    Here is the recipe. I got the idea from the "How to Grill" book by Steven Raichlem. I changed a few things that I didn't like and besides, we all know that the recipes in most books aren't the 'real' recipe. So, here's my version. Try it and I don't think you'll be disappointed. Keep in mind that this is not your usual BBQ Rub.[p]3 Tablespoons Instant Coffee
    2 Tablespoons Coarse Salt (I use kosher)
    2 Tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
    2 Tablespoons Sweet Paprika (I use Hungarian)
    2 Teaspoons Black Pepper
    2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
    2 Teaspoons Onion Powder
    1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
    1 Teaspoon Ground Coriander
    1 Teaspoon Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
    Combine all thoroughly.
    Remove membrane from ribs.
    Coat ribs with plain yellow table mustard.
    Coat ribs with rub.
    Smoke using 3/1/1.5 method (GFW's recipe)
    Remove, let rest for a few minutes and put sauce of choice on (I use GFW's). If you do, make sure you use Red Wine Vinegar because it makes a huge difference.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Redpig,[p]I am of the opinion that 185 is the minimum and 190 is better and 195 is sure to pull clean off the bone. [p]Enjoy[p]Tim