Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Rib temp when done?

RedpigRedpig Posts: 35
edited 5:43AM in EggHead Forum
I am smoking 3 racks of loin back ribs using the 3/1/1.5 method. I have done these using this techniques a few times and I was wondering if there is a certain temp to use versus the time noted above. Everytime I've done ribs using GFW's method they've come out excellent. The last time they were exceptional and I think the temp was about 190 internal. Is this to high or can I pull them sooner? Hats off to TimM, JSlots, GFW and others who have given me very useful info in the past. Getting ready to add a small or medium to soon and won't stop there! I'm using my old smoker as a storage container for my supplies for the BGE! Also makes a nice shelf for my favorite beverage.
·

Comments

• RRPRRP Posts: 15,557
    Redpig,
    I go for the gold when my Thermopen says 185° in the meat between the bones, but don't be fooled when they first come out of the foil they are higher than that. Works for me!

Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • RedpigRedpig Posts: 35
    RRP,
    Thanks. 185 sounds reasonable. I don't check the temp out of the foil anyway. I put the probe in when it goes direct/ I have a very nice rub recipe if you want it. Makes for a wonderfully tasty rib unlike any you've ever had.

·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,557
    Redpig, I'd be honored if you care to email it to me or post right here for all to see.

Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • RedpigRedpig Posts: 35
    RRP,
    Here is the recipe. I got the idea from the "How to Grill" book by Steven Raichlem. I changed a few things that I didn't like and besides, we all know that the recipes in most books aren't the 'real' recipe. So, here's my version. Try it and I don't think you'll be disappointed. Keep in mind that this is not your usual BBQ Rub.[p]3 Tablespoons Instant Coffee
    2 Tablespoons Coarse Salt (I use kosher)
    2 Tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
    2 Tablespoons Sweet Paprika (I use Hungarian)
    2 Teaspoons Black Pepper
    2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
    2 Teaspoons Onion Powder
    1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
    1 Teaspoon Ground Coriander
    1 Teaspoon Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
    Combine all thoroughly.
    Remove membrane from ribs.
    Coat ribs with plain yellow table mustard.
    Coat ribs with rub.
    Smoke using 3/1/1.5 method (GFW's recipe)
    Remove, let rest for a few minutes and put sauce of choice on (I use GFW's). If you do, make sure you use Red Wine Vinegar because it makes a huge difference.

·
  • Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    Redpig,[p]I am of the opinion that 185 is the minimum and 190 is better and 195 is sure to pull clean off the bone. [p]Enjoy[p]Tim
    ·