Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just got my large Egg but can't cook anything today!

Gwei-lo
Gwei-lo Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally got my new large Egg today after waiting for ages. These things aren't easy to get in Australia, and I had to wait for Barbeques Galore (the only Aussie dealers) to get some in stock. Anyway, I bring it home and set it all up, only to realise that there's currently a total fire ban in NSW at the moment, due to all the bushfires! Now I have to wait until at least next weekend to try it out, and that's only if the fire bans are over. The Egg currently has the manual locking hinge, so I guess I've got a bit of time to install the spring-assist hinge that I bought with the Egg. I didn't get any instruction book with the package, but everything I need to know about the Egg I can find on these forums, I'm sure. Am I missing out on anything in the book? Also, what is that little spring thingy around the wire handle of the dual function metal top? Thanks for any help. Looking forward to becoming a part of the BGE community, and hopefully increasing BGE education and recognition in Australia! :) Cheers.[p]Gwei-lo

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Hi Mate, [p]Welcome to the world of the BGE. Congratulations on your purchase of a fine cooking machine. Too bad about the fires. I have been seeing it in the news.[p]Everything you need can be found right here on the forum. The book is not needed and will only take you down the wrong path in leaning how to properly cook on the BGE. As far as the spring thingy, it is there to keep you from burning your fingers when the daisy heats up and you need ot lift the top from the egg. It is nothing more than a heat deflector.[p]Whatever you need to know, just ask and someone here will come to your aid. A great bunch of folks here.[p]

• Gwei-lo
    Gwei-lo Posts: 12
    Bob,[p] You are so right. The great folks here were one of the determining factors in deciding to get the BGE, because I knew that no matter what, there would always be someone to help with whatever problems I might have with it. Not that I anticipate having any problems with it, of course :)[p]Gwei-lo

• Gwei-lo,
    And you forgot to mention because we have such a great sense of humor too, right? :-)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Gwei-lo,Glad to read that you got your egg. Any question that you might have can be answered right here. A great bunch of people to communicate with world wide. Most of the time experience is the best teacher, so when the ban is lifted just fire up the egg and start cooking. From my experience start at a low temperature and bring the dome temp up to where you like or recommended. Be sure and check the dome gauge by instruction book and adjust if necessary. Let us know what and how you are cooking.
    Jimmy Brazelton

• Gwei-lo,[p]Welcome! The little spring thing on the daisy wheel is what you would use to lift the piece off the egg when it is hot - the springy thing (as long as you let it hang to the side, and not vertical) stays cool to the touch.[p]- Mike

• Gwei-lo,[p]As long as you have time, I'd spend 15 minutes and make sure the thermometer included with your BGE is properly calibrated. Just place it in boiling water (not touching the pan) and make sure it reads close to 212°. [p]There's plenty of shopping left...drip pans, extra grills, extended grills, a dozen different types of wood chips, electric starter, remote thermometers......[p]Best of luck![p]Mike in MN

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    The Naked Whiz,
    Now that's funny! LOL

• Redpig
    Redpig Posts: 35
    Gwei-lo,
    Congrats on your aquisition. You will NOT be disappointed! I've had several smokers/grills over the years and I just got my BGE a few months ago. Let me assure you NOTHING and I mean NOTHING comes close to the 'magical' BGE. You will learn alot from the guys and gals on this forum and they will always help if they can. Best to you!