Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Metal firbox for wood chips

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is tHe eggspert opinon on the metal wood chip fire BOXES?
1) DO THEY WORK WELL IN LOW TEMPS (200 - 250)?
2) ARE THEY SLOW TO START SMOKING
3) ANY ADVANTAGES
4) ANY DISADVANTAGES

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,869
    caesarshead,
    I used to use one on my gas grill to keep the rocks clean, by why bother with it in a BGE? Ashes to ashes, dust to dust

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    caesarshead,[p]THEY AREN'T NEEDED. Lets turn off the caps lock and talk a minute.[p]The reason wood smokes and doesn't burst into flames is because there isn't:
    1. enough heat
    2. enough oxygen[p]If you provide enough of both, then you get flames and not smoke. The metal boxes are needed in a gasser because they can't hold back the oxygen because they are so open. That is why they dry out food - too much air flow in there. The ceramic cookers can regulate airflow very well and closing the vents will snuff out a fire, so it is easy to make wood smoke by controlling the airflow. Keep your temps under about 350° or you will allow enough air and heat to make the smoke stop and you move into the "grilling" area where you don't get as much smoking. [p]Have fun![p]Tim

• Redpig
    Redpig Posts: 35
    caesarshead,
    Tim M is exactly right. The metal boxes are ok (I guess) for gas grills or any applications where you can't adequately control the volume of air or heat. Remeber alos that the majority of smoke permeating the meat occurs within the 1st hour or so. I would recommend using chips or a few chunks at the beginning and leave it at that.