Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TODAY'S WASH POST VALIDATES MAD MAX!!

mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
from today's washington post food section which is totally devoted to thanksgiving.. ..

first, from their "turkey tips"

"Pre-cooling: By icing the breast before cooking while letting the rest of the bird come to room temperature, you reduce the risk of undercooked legs and overcooked breast."

and from their 'nearly perfect bird methodology', this tidbit (sound familiar??)

" Besides, just because you cannot reach perfection doesn't mean you shouldn't strive for it. For one thing, those different cooking times can be brought a little closer together. Allowing the legs to warm to room temperature while cooling the breast with ice cubes gives the legs a head start. Covering the breast with foil during the first part of the cooking further reduces the danger of overcooked dryness."

ah, to be validated by none other than the gastronomic experts at the washington post sure makes me feel good . . :whistle: :woohoo:

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I (we) never doubted your expert guidance for one minute....you are the king of moist breasts (umm make that turkey breasts).... :evil:

Happy Thanksgiving....
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    How much did that cost you??? :woohoo:

ALL HAIL MAX!!!
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Hello, Max! Washington, D.C. is a town filled with rumors and whispers. In a small town, like Reading, PA, the newspaper would have sought you out and quoted you directly ;) .

Hey, I have a turkey question. If I do my turkey (probably about 18lbs) on a "spider" with a pizza stone on top of it, do you think I'll have enough lump to cook that size bird? Or, I have the raised grid set up from The Ceramic Grill Store. If I used that with the two rods holding the turkey pan would I still need some kind if heat shield?

Thanks for your help.

Brian
  • Now that is a nice pat on the back. I think you should write them and ask to be put on the byline.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    :lol:
    I'm looking for a breast with A cups. :whistle: Hmmm. would that be a perky turkey? :lol:

That way I won't have ice them as long. :woohoo:
    I just could not resist chiming in. :woohoo:
  • yes, last year i used spider w/ pizza stone for heat barrier, then adjustable rig with the two bars in their lowest position with the roasting pan set on the two bars. . .loaded the lump up to within about a 1/2 inch of the bottom of the spider .. ..burned it at 325 degrees dome temp for about 7 hours. ...just enough for my 21 pound bird. . ..it was close, but it worked out OK. .. .the spider/adjustable rig is a GREAT setup for the mad max turkey. ...i wholeheartedly endorse it!!!

here are a couple of pics so you can see the setup. . .

IMG_1444.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg
  • no sweat. .. the aiflow between the stone and the bottom of the pan is great for preventing scorching in the roasting pan....as always though, do a test fit with your particular pan to make sure it fits inside the adjustable rig. . .mine fits in there very tightly. ..
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Already tried it, buddy! When I'm not cooking on my egg I'm busy playing with it. After all, I'm married 35 years so what else is there? :blink:

I had hoped to do a practice cook to try out the MMT but the day I intended to do it was the day you came to Fred's. I now believe that witnessing the "creator" himself making a Mad Max turkey is a far more valuable lesson that fumbling my way through it on my own (I hope).

BC in PA
  • then you are all set buddy!! . . .and remember, i will have the hotline open next wednesday and thursday, so give a holler if you need any help!!
  • Max, I don't have the adjustable rig....could I use the little feet under the roaster on top of the platesetter/pizza stone?

Thanks
  • absolutely. .. . thats the way it's shown on the mad max turkey site. ...the adjustable rig is just another way of doing it. . .
  • Herm
    Herm Posts: 206
    Hi Max,
    I'm looking to do my first "max" turkey this year. One question: Is it possible to use one of those disposable foil pans? I wasn't sure if you could put them on a burner to make the gravy, and if you can't use all the good crusty stuff on the bottom of the pan, is it worth it?
  • yes you can use the disposable. .but i typically advocate using two or three of them stacked together to give you some 'mass' to keep the drippings from scorching ... don't know about using them on the stove top. . .what i would do is start your roux in heavy pan on the stove, then add the drippings from the throw away pans to that. .. i did that at 'fred's' during my demos two weeks ago and it worked great. . .had a very good batch of gravy. .. .
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Max, it is nice to know someone else has a gasket (or lack there of) JUST LIKE MINE.... :P :P :P BTW, what time is dinner. That be a nice lookin burdy!
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • LOL. .. those gaskets are 6 years old, been through hundreds of high temp sears.. ...not much left, but enough... .gasses/smoke does leak out the edges, but on lo and slos, you just adjust the top and bottom vents accordingly to allow for the air that leaks out there. .. .works fine. ... i never understand all the gasket "angst" that goes on around here. .. .

sure, stop on by next thursday!!