Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Cayenne Addiction Deepens

Options
Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My two egg/cayenne pepper frittata, now featuring a heaping tablespoon of the peppers with oil, still not hot :evil: enough, although very tasty indeed, need to grow something hotter next summer:

IMG_2125.jpg

IMG_2126.jpg
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is a source for "The Hottest Pepper" in the world. Red Savina is also very hot.

http://www.burnmegood.com/store/view/cart/other/bhut_jolokia.cfm
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    be careful frying the peppers, i made the mistake of putting some thai peppers in the wok for a half minute too long when the phone rang last year,it smoked up and burnt my lungs and i couldnt take a full breath of air for a couple days. gotta love hot peppers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I do that every time I make General Tso's Chicken, sometimes we have to leave the house for a bit while the air clears. -RP
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    are you making the general tso from scratch or using a sauce, tried a few recipes but they didnt compare to what im used to, its general gau in this area. i really smogged the kitchen with the pepper smoke last time, someday im buying a hood for over the range
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HolySmokes
    Options
    ZippyLip

I grew a new hybrid this year called 'superchili'. They're definitely hot, though not quite habenero class heat. You should try this one if you're looking for a new chili.

best, HS

superchili.jpg
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one method. Also the Iron Chef has a General Tso Marinade/glaze in a bottle

http://www.ironchefproducts.com/

Chicken, Thighs, General Tso's

The restaurant favorite is based on an authentic Hunan dish that translates roughly as "ancestor meeting place chicken." If you like, you can thicken the sauce by whisking 2 teaspoons cornstarch in with the other sauce ingredients. For more sauce, increase the sauce ingredients by 1/2 (3 tablespoons dark soy sauce, 1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine, etc).

INGREDIENTS:
    1 lb chicken thighs, boneless
    1 Tbs light soy sauce
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    freshly ground black or white pepper, to taste
    Cornstarch, as needed
    *****Sauce*****
    2 Tbs dark soy sauce
    1 Tbs rice vinegar
    2 tsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
    1 Tbs granulated sugar
    3 Tbs chicken broth or water
    1 Tbs minced ginger
    2 tsp minced garlic
    2 tsp cornstarch for thickening sauce, optional
    Other:
    3 green onions (spring onions, scallions)
    5 to 10 small dried red chilli peppers, according to taste
    3 – 4 cups oil for deep-frying and stir-frying, as needed

Procedure:
    1 Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes. Combine the chicken cubes with the egg, soy sauce, and pepper. Add enough cornstarch to nicely coat the chicken, using cooking chopsticks or your fingers to mix it in.
    2 Combine the sauce ingredients in a bowl, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Set aside. Thinly slice the green onions.
    3 Heat the oil in a wok to between 350 and 360 degrees Fahrenheit (175 - 180 degrees Celsius). Drop the chicken cubes into the hot oil, a few pieces at a time, and deep-fry until crispy (3 to 4 minutes). Remove the chicken cubes and drain on paper towels.
    4 Drain and clean out the wok. Heat 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the sliced green onions and the dried chili peppers. Stir-fry until aromatic (about 30 seconds).
    5 Add the deep-fried chicken cubes back into the wok. Stir-fry until the chicken cubes are browned (about 1 minute).
    6 Push the chicken up to the sides of the wok. Give the sauce a quick restir and add into the middle of the wok. If you added cornstarch to the sauce, stir it continually for 1 - 2 minutes to thicken.
    7 Mix the sauce with the chicken. Cook and stir for another 2 minutes, stirring, until the chicken is nicely coated with the sauce. Serve immediately.

Yield: 3 to 4

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Author: Rhonda Parkinson,Your Guide to Chinese Cuisine.

Source: Rhonda Parkinson, 2007/03/07

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/poultryreceo/r/generaltso.htm?nl=1
  • Essex County
    Options
    There are so many ways this thread could go! Hot peppers. Smokin' up the house. Stove hoods. We grow habaneros. It's something that just grows well in our garden. I've about killed us all with a week of "it's still not hot enough" dishes. The one that satisfies is Pasta from Hell

As for smoking up the kitchen, when Paul Prudhomme made blackened redfish popular, I tried to make it in my kitchen and had to repaint the ceiling. Now we have a hood powered by an aircraft engine. If you were to smoke a cigar at the dining room table and the hood was on at full power, the smoke would travel sideways and disappear up the hood.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    From scratch, its my favorite dish. I mix egg and cornstarch together in a bowl and toss in bite sized pieces of chicken thighs. I cook the chicken in the deep fryer until crisp then keep them warm on a plate in the oven. In a hot wok I put a tbs of oil, some minced garlic and ginger and five or six dried japon peppers that have been broken in half and the seeds shaken out. When the peppers blacken I add the sauce, chicken and some scallions. As soon as the sauce boils it will turn black and thicken. I serve it over steamed rice. -RP

Sauce

4 tsp cornstarch
    4 tsp sugar
    4 tsp rice vinegar
    6 Tbs soy sauce
    1/2 C chicken broth
    1/4 C marsala
  • Slotmercenary
    Options
    Greetings,
    from one chilihead to another, check out this site. i have been buying his seed for years and it is all organic.
    www.pepperjoe.com
    he is another right coast boy just south of you who used to be in PA but is now in MD.