Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Max Ribs Capacity in XL???

Thrill
Thrill Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got my XL a couple of weeks ago. I've had one good smoke with 70+ pounds of butts that went well. So, the challenge this week is St. Louis - style ribs. Has anybody tried to determine how many racks can fit in the XL?

I'm hosting a pretty huge tailgate for the GT-Miami game Thursday afternoon/night. I think I'll have about 20-22 racks. I'm thinking that is a little much for the XL, and was planning to bring my Large Egg to help out.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Biscuit
    Biscuit Posts: 208
    BGE states that you can fit 18 racks on the XL without a raised grid.Vertical,of course.I'd bust out the large for added capacity
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    chef wil did 20 racks of babybacks in a large so i dont see a problem for the xl. they dont brown up as nice in places were they tough each other, but they still will taste good.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thrill
    Thrill Posts: 32
    Thanks, Fishless and Biscuit. It seems like I was able to cram about 15 racks of baby backs in the large once upon a time.

These are St. Louis style spareribs which will be a little thicker. I, of course, will trim off the strip above the bones with all of the cartilage.

I have the raised grid, but I think'll forego cramming them in there since I have the large on hand.

I'll see if I can take a couple of pics. Should be a great time. I'll be serving up some ABTs and pulled pork cornbread on the side, and we'll be washing it all down with some homebrew.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    ribsxl.jpg

not sure if the picture/drawing is going to show up but with a 22 inch diameter working grid, ID of fire ring, and spacing racks on 1.5 inch centers on edge, you can get 9 full (17" long) racks and 4 partial racks (2 @ 14" long and 2 @ 11" long). Probably add one half rack on top and bottom too. Tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    You can double (or more) that if you set them up vertical. You will need to rotate them around to ensure they all get the same amount of smoke evenly.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    that is vertical on edge, only allowing 1.5 inches of grid space per rack, T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.