Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

10 degrees, 15 to 20 mph winds - Overnight??

Still Smokin'
Still Smokin' Posts: 76
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I usually cook my boston butts overnight for the best pulled pork. Tonight were looking at 10 degrees and 15 mph plus winds. How much trouble is it to keep an egg at 225-235 degrees or so overnight with varible winds? I have no natural wind breaks or anything heavy enought to use to shield the egg. I have noticed in the past when the wind picks up it will increase the air draw thru the vents and raise the temperature. I do not want to stay up tonight, fighting a sinus infection. Can check at midnight, then at 8:00am.[p]I do have to mention my best night. Started the grill Friday night at 6:00pm and brought up to 225 degrees, added the pork shoulder. By 9:00pm,I had the grill exactly where I had wanted it with no adjustments required. Checked again at 11:00pm and 1:00am - 225 degrees, no adjustments required. After a good nights sleep, I checked it at 8:30am, 235 degrees. No adjustment needed. Finished up late afternoon at 205 degrees internal. Fell apart trying to get it on a plate. It took almost no effor to shread. Gotta love a BGE.

Comments

• Still Smokin',
    Wow, tonight looks like a challenge. You need that remote dome thermometer I'm pondering about. Sounds like on your "best night" you were right on. That's awesome. Bet you took your time and had your lump stacked just right. Good luck with the Q and take care of that cold!

• Still Smokin',[p]Can you face the bottom vent away from the wind? That might help. I think if you get it stabilized, it will probably hold fine. [p]I went out to my BGE last night and the cover was frozen shut. I had to drop my electric starter through the top vent to heat it up enough to get it unthawed. Then I started it and cooked chicken for about an hour in a 15 MPH wind at about 8 degrees...same scenario...no wind breaks, just wind chill.[p]It worked fine, and the temp was "managed" as expected.[p]Mike in MN

• Mike in MN,[p]I went ahead and tried it last night. Started the egg at 8:30pm, 18 degrees, 15 mph winds. By 9:45pm the egg was at 230 degrees with fire bricks already added, I then added my boston butt. By 11:00 it was stabilized at 220 degrees, cracked the bottom vent open a little to try for 240 degrees. Checked it at 1:00am, 235 degrees. Never touched either vent or lid from 11:00pm till 8:30 am this morning. The wind had died down and the temp had dropped to only 210 degrees, the pork at a perfect 160 degrees. We are shooting for 4:00 this afternoon. Should be perfect. The egg handled the cold wind perfectly, no need to babysit it. I have a hard time believing there is a better smoker out their, anywhere.[p]Mike, I went to Apple Valley High School. A southern boy that got stuck up there for the early 80's, back when Minnesota had some of its worst winters. Virginia's been great until this week when ya'll sent your cold air down here. 8 degrees this morning in Roanoke, VA.

• still smokin',
    Hey, sounds like it's going to work. Wish I was in Virginia for dinner...although my son and I just had pulled pork sammiches, with a bowl of home made split pea soup (w/ham and pulled pork in it) Made a great lunch![p]I'm really happy I bought a BGE, I never grilled in the winter because of the grief getting the grill up to temp. Now it's a moot issue what the outside temp is....just a matter of how much cold can the old cook take. It was miserable out on Thursday night when I did a dead chicken on Mr. Egg. But with the remote thermometer, and the Egg sitting right outside the patio door, I can manage it.[p]Winter has been mild so far....subject to change, of course. I'm from Osseo, and have lived in the area all my life (with the exception of the 4 years I spent in the Navy) I dislike winters here, but have great family, so....We adapt, hence the Large BGE![p]Mike in MN :>