Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let's talk Turkey

Options
RedFish
RedFish Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, now that everyone has done their holiday turkeys, I am going to try one. I have a 22 lb, turkey I plan to put on the large humpty. What would you suggest. I am a little scared of brining because I don't want it to turn out salty. I know it shouldn't be a problem, but I have family coming into town and need success. I was thinking maybe injecting. What are your thoughts? It is not a fresh bird. It is just an ol' frozen Jennieo bird from the local Kroger’s. Also, what would be times and temps to shoot for, so I know when I need to plan on putting him on the egg. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Redfish,[p]Cook indirect at ~350° until the breast reaches an internal temp of 165°. My 15 pounders usually take about 3 hours, but I haven't really timed them. I'm sure you'll get some more ideas on how long it should take for that size bird. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.[p]Keep the smoke risin',
    Jim

• Wingnut
    Wingnut Posts: 26
    Options
    Redfish,[p]I did my bird at 500 for the first half hour and then at 350 for the remainder of the cook. The bird was sitting in a big tin pan on a roasting rack. As with JSlot the bird was done in 4 to 5 hours. [p]Good luck,[p]Wingnut[p]

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    Redfish,
    I like to do a turkey at 325° in a rack over a drip pan. I always use olive oil as a rub and then salt and pepper it and put a lemon inside along with an onion. I've never brined mine and they turn out really moist and tasty. It wouldn't hurt to cover the wing tips with a bit of foil.

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Options
    Redfish,
    Great minds think alike. I'm going to be Egging a turkey this weekend, too. I put mine on a vertical turkey roaster, spray it with Pam or the like, and put it on the grill (about 325 degrees). Sometime with a drip pan and sometimes without; also sometimes with wood chips and sometimes without. I use a digital thermometer and when it reaches about 170 degrees, it's done. The 10 pound turkey was done in about 2 hours. My 30 pound turkey took about 4 hours. It partially plugged the top hole so the air flow wasn't the greatest, but it was still good. Make sure you have the turkey in a some kind of pan when you cut it, or you'll have juice all over the place.
    Julie

• SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    Options
    Redfish,[p]Brine it. Just lightly rinse it when you are done, and I promise it won't be salty.
  • Cornbread Willy
    Options
    SSDawg, I second that. Brine it - you won't be sorry.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Redfish,
    I inject mine with a nice mixture of chicken brooth and butter seasoned with garlic and onion powder, Tony C's. Coat the outside lightly with oil, then pepper. I cook mine indirect at 350, using 10 min per pound as a rough guide but let a thermometer tell you when it's done. With a bird that size, you'll be hard pressed to use a vertical roaster. I use a drip pan under the grill and lay the bird flat on it's back, directly on the grill.