Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to stuff a pork loin???

BHE1
BHE1 Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am sure there is a simple way to do this, but how do you stuff a pork loin? I know you can just butterfly it once and place the stuffing in, however, I'm looking to flatten it out and roll my stuffing in. What is the easiest way to do this??

This seems like a silly question but I've never done this before.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• I haven't done this with a pork loin, but have done it with a pork tenderloin. Think about the letter "G". You make a cut, about 1/2 inch deep, along the tenderloin and then continue running your knife in that cut to keep peeling off a half inch filet. I said "G" because that's what the cross section of my tenderloin would look like if I rolled it up again. For a true loin roast, you could make the cut a little thicker. I also pound out the meat before stuffing and rerolling.
    Hope that helps.

Paul
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    the alternative way to stuff the loin is to make a hole down the middle of the eye with the handle of a wooden spoon or some other round implement. Then push apricots, prunes or whatever stuffing you like down the middle of the loin. The fruit keeps the loin very moist, and it cannot burst out through the side of the joint.
  • BHE1
    BHE1 Posts: 205
    Thanks Paul.

Also, I meant to say tenderloin.

Ed
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    I prefer to "jelly roll" cut it with a long sharp fillet knife so I get a continuous piece like this:
    IMG_0551.jpg

Then roll back with with all the goodies inside and tie with butcher's string like this and lay some bacon on before tieing & hit with a rub:
    IMG_0556.jpg

Then it will cook up like this and it makes a nice visual presentation when sliced and served.
    IMG_0558.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    BTW the stuffing was Raspberry-Chipotle sauce, cashew pieces and thin slices of apple. Actually most anything can be used including jelly, dried fruits etc.
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Hey Ron,

That looks great. Haven't dobe one of those in quite awhile.

Really sorry I missed you in Chicago. I was the guy in the green Phycho shirt talkin to the cute redhead. :)

Mick
  • RRP
    green Phycho shirt talkin to the cute redhead...hmmm, don't remember either of you! :laugh:
    We're already planning to return there when they hold it again in May. I sure hope they take my suggestion of providing optional name tags to us who want to be identified from this board!
  • Nils
    Nils Posts: 82
    Just like RRP says above - works great. Cut about a 1/2 inch thick slice along the bottom, almost through to the opposite side, and "unroll" it as you go. Makes a big square, and takes a little patience and a sharp knife.

I did one a few weeks ago.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=531674&catid=1

Left-overs (I made it for two adults!) were great for sandwiches!