Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pulled ham?

Options
flajoker
flajoker Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have tried a couple of pork roast for pulling. They where way to greasy for my taste. Maybe I have been trying wrong part of pig. Earlier post about shoulder and butt. I love sliced ham. Should I try one of these for pulled pork? Will it still have all the grease?
Thanks, would love to cook a non-greasy pulled pork. Please advise as to the best cut for greaseless or I'm I asking to much?

Comments

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    flajoker,
    Yep.

• flajoker,
    To cut down the amount of grease in your pork take off the false fat cap on the top of the butt. Cook it at about 225 until the internal temp is 195. And lastly mix in a vinegar base sauce. The key is the vinegar base sauce.
    Pulled ham? Why?
    Jack
    Smokin in the rain

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    flajoker,[p]When you say sliced ham, I'm assuming you are talking about a ham that has already been cooked or cured and you can't get to pulled pork from there. Also, if you want pulled pork without grease, you are asking too much. That being said, you can certainly reduce the amount of grease you have by choosing your cut of pork and/or trimming the fat as Jack suggested. If you use a FRESH ham, not a smoked/cured ham, you will get a leaner product in your pulled pork because most of the fat is on the outside of the meat. With a butt, and a picnic to some extent, the fat is marbled through the meat. The picnic and butt portions come from the front shoulder of Mr. Piggy and the ham is the upper portion of the hind legs. Hope this helps![p]Jim
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    flajoker,
    If you 'love sliced ham' why the look to change? Or are you looking to duplicate the same results yourself without going store-bought? If it's cured ham you enjoy, then you are into another ballgame for reproducing that...curing, injecting, cold-smoking etc.
    If you find traditional pulled pork (ie: from butt or picnic cuts) too greasy, you can always go 'upscale' and smoke a tenderloin or whole loin roast, dice it, add your sauce and call that pulled, or more correctly, chopped pork sandwich. It will be have great flavor yet very little, if any, fat or 'grease'.
    Perhaps your attempts at traditional pulled pork, that is to say, using either a whole shoulder or its component parts, the butt and/or picnic, have turned out 'greasy' simply because time/technique have not allowed majority of the fat to render out?
    Yes, there is a substantial amount of fat marbling in the shoulder, but when cooked low n slow and then pulled with removal of any remaining visible runs of fat, it has never struck me as being excessively fatty or greasy.
    Not out to self-promote in any way, but there is a pictorial run-through of a whole shoulder cook, with butt and picnic seperated but cooked side by side on our website (and similar guides are available on other Egger's sites as well, I must add). It even shows what is left by way of fat, rind and bones when it's done and you can see that most fat is rendered out during the cook. Take a look and compare this to your current technique. The shoulder cuts are so reasonably priced that I'd hate to see you missing out on the value (not to mention great taste!) of traditional pulled pork, if it's just a matter of your approach to cooking them needing some 'tweaking'.
    Take Care & Good Luck,
    Qfan

[ul][li]Under 'Recipes': Pulled Pork[/ul]