Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New User Questions

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had my first egg (large) delivered today, and experimented with my first "project" (hamburgers; decent, but not earth-shattering). Questions from a neophyte user:[p]1. How long should it take the temperature to come down after firing up the egg? After the initial lighting (and it reached over 750 degrees), it seemed to take quite awhile for the temperature to go below 400 degrees, even with the dampers completely shut down. Is this normal? I also questioned whether my temperature guage is accurate (which, like an idiot, I failed to test before starting).[p]2. There appeared to be a faint trail of smoke coming from the seal, around the handle. Is this normal, or do I have a problem?[p]Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Bill-the-Grill,
    If you let the ceramic heat up, it will take a long time for the egg to cool down. If you start a fire and let it shoot up to 750 and immediately shut down the air, it shouldn't take too long. It is a function of how hot you let the walls of the egg get.[p]If you have a small smoke leak, you can do the following to try to get a better seal. Close the lid and loosen the bolt on the upper band. Let the lid sit down on the bottom half and then re-tighten the upper band. Remember to tighten it as much as they say to (until the bolt bends) so you don't lose a lid. [p]Good luck!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Vegas Slim
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, the one thing you need to watch for when you close both the top and bottom is flashbacks be sure to burp your egg before you lose more then a few hairs to flames

• Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    Options
    Bill-the-Grill,[p]If you are new to the forum and to the BGE then should take a look at TNW's webpage on flashback. The smell of crisped hair,eyelashes and a ball of fire enfulging your arm is not very nice. Here is his page http://www.nakedwhiz.com/bge.htm
    Drive

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Bill-the-Grill,
    Don't want to start a holy war, but why did you let it get up to 750? The BGE was made to maintain the temp you wanted it at. Light the BGE with your starter and lump. When you have a flame going, lower the dome and open up both vents. When approaching the desired temp, close both vents half way and watch your temp. It will take a little practice but you will catch on quick. If you do get to a higher temp and want to lower it quickly, just add more lump.
    Hope this helps,[p]CWM

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Bill-the-Grill,
    Welcome!
    I understand you desire to start out simple but burgers, while good and easy, won't let you show off the qualities of the egg.
    Like others have said, keep an eye on the fire and don't let it run to 750 or you'll have a hard time getting the temp back down.
    As for the smoke leak...did your dealer deliver/set up your egg or did you have to assemble it yourself? If a dealer set it up, I'd call him back and let him adjust.
    Don't worry, your cooks will only get better!

• Mike in MN
    Options
    Bill-the-Grill,[p]I noticed my temp guage acts up after a 700° burn. I always recalibrate it after it's that hot. High temps seem to throw it out of whack. I learned this the hard way when I did a pork shoulder and found out (too late) that the temp was too low. After about 20 some hours of cooking, my shoulders had turned to mush. 3 of em, garbage.....[p]The note about the flash back is VERY important. It will definitely get your attention...and singe those hairs on your arm. I always open that top vent all the way for a minute or two, then lift the lid up an inch or two, drop it back down, open it a bit, "burp" it a few times, and then open it wide. Fresh lump causes the biggest flash backs, WOW, they can really get your attention![p]Mike in MN
  • Bill-the-Grill,
    Not to beat a dead horse, but I totally agree with Car Wash Mike. Why did you get the temp so high for cooking burgers? I only get the temp that high when searing steaks. Other then that, I personally only direct grill around 350. As was said before, working with the temp. Work Up not Down. It takes forever for the temp to come down. Again, watch the flash back. Your little dragon can definitly light up your world. Plus, burnt hair just doesnt smell that good. Trust me, I know. I forgot Thumpers wrath a few times.

• Vegas Slim,
    Burping isn't necessary. Simply remove the daisy wheel. Wait a few seconds. Then open the lid. Always works for me.

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    The Whiz needs no warning on flashbacks. He is the resident poohbah of flashbacks. If you haven't done it, go to his website and watch his film on the subject, which is testimony to having toooooo many toys and tooooo much time on one's hands. Great fun.