Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ultimate BGE Table

JohnL
JohnL Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I built my own wooden table from the plans on the web-site 3 years ago, now I am looking to build the ultimate table that even Norm would be proud to own. Any ideas about design, features, materials, or even pictures of your own BGE table would be appreciated. I am likely to go with marble for the top.

Comments

• 3365788723232%7Ffp67%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A4%3D933%3Dxroqdf%3E232333%3B566%3B%3A4ot1lsi
    <p />John L,
    When I built my table I thought it was perfect for my needs. It still is but I have since seen some great ideas incorporated into other tables. Plus, I have come up with some new ideas of my own. So back to the drawing board in a year or so, whenever I get my second BGE. Meanwhile, you may be able to get some ideas from my design. I built it out of cedar and put a ceramic top on it. The gas grill on the other end seemed to be a good idea at the time but I never use the gasser anymore.[p]Good luck on yours.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    BrickFinal.jpg
    <p />John L,[p]Here's a pic of our brick enclosure. It has worked out nicely for our needs. I have seen several nice tables on this forum. You are sure to find something you like.
    [ul][li]Building Brick Table[/ul]
  • egg-1.jpg
    <p />John L,
    Here is what we did to our egg cart.
    Mike

• AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    MVC-007F.JPG
    <p />John L,[p]It doesn't like so new anymore...

• outleft.jpg
    <p />John L,[p]Here is a pic of mine.[p]Cheers![p]- Mike

• bge9.jpg
    <p /> Built this one this last summer. It was a ton of fun! Dave

• Smoke-N-Smirk!,
    Aside from the obvious eggcellent construction, I like this design. There is storage for lump, smoking chips and chunks, and tools.[p]From my limited experience, I think a hook to hang the grate on while preparing for the cook might be useful. Setting the grate on the table top always leaves behind stuff from the last cook.[p]Also, someone else's picture showed a cutout just in front of the lower vent/cleanout that allows a catch can to be used when cleaning out ash. That might be hard to do in this design, but maybe a "slide" that funnels the ash off the front would work.[p]Rebuilding mine next summer,
    Dave

• Smoke-N-Smirk!,
    Oops, that closing should have read...[p]Rebuilding mine next summer with room for a sibling,
    Dave

• JohnL
    JohnL Posts: 27
    Smoke-N-Smirk:[p]I like that this table has drawers and the bin for charcoal. How have you liked the tile? Do you think it would be good with granite?
  • Dave's Not Here, I know what you mean. I’ve got multiple grates in many configurations. I built a rack that holds them vertically on the lower sliding shelf. With the onset of winter, lights would be nice. Maybe a mod I’ll do this spring. I picked up a baby shop vac with a 1" hose that snakes into the vent and around the fire box. Makes ash removal a snap. Hope to tear down and rebuild the deck this fall and plan to build in a BBQ center into it. Hopefully I’ll know by then everything I’ll want in it. Keep sending the ideas. S-N-M!
  • John L,I think Granite would be awesome! $$$$ steered me away on this project. I hope to use it sometime in the future on a built-in BBQ center. S-N-M!

• Charlie
    Charlie Posts: 29
    While on the topic of BGE tables, how do you cut the round hole for the egg to sit in? Come spring I'll be building a table to hold a large and medium egg.

• Harry
    Harry Posts: 58
    Charlie,
    Cut mine with a power jig saw. I used a string compas to scribe the circle and then the cut with the jig saw worked fine.[p]A couple of points to be careful of:
    1. Be sure that the distance between the shelf the egg sits on and the table where you're going to cut is accurate. Either my plans were wrong or I built it wrong, but the distance between the two was off by about 1 1/2 inches. That acutally turned out to be a good thing. I set the egg on a round patio stone - that kept the bottom of the egg off the wood and I have had zero problem with the wood getting too hot. I recommend doing this also.[p]2. Also, the plans that I used didn't have a cross member holding the top of the table near the edge of the circle. It's necessary to have a horizontal support at that point, otherwise some of the boards will be moving in the wind - or at least under whatever you set on the table.[p]Building the table was fun - a lot more fun than buying one. It's not cabinet quality work, at least mine isnt', but it's something you'll enjoy every time you use the egg.[p]Good Luck,
    Harry

• Smoke-N-Smirk!,
    I think this is the greatest table. Did you make the drawers or buy them pre- made. How about hardware for drawers that slide out? I would lke as much info as possible on this table. Thanks!!!

• morgan, I set out intending to use pre-made drawers. But they were either too big or small for what I wanted. If you can it saves a ton of time to use the pre made drawers. But by custom making the drawers you can make use of all available space in your cabinet. Home Depot sells 4X8 sheets of the material.. Hardware is available there also but it’s not cheep! You can get all kinds of help from folks on this forum. My e-mail address is dle@peoplepc.com and I’ll be glad to help however I can. S-N-M!

• morgan, I was waiting for S N S to reply before I butted in, but remember a drawer is nothing more than a box with no top, inserted inside a case. I used heavy duty ball bearing drawer brackets to mount a drawer inside the carcess. That carcess or "riser" on the bottom shelf of the cart raises my small BGE to the proper height so that it protudes thru the top like it's companion large.

• kat, Please, by all means jump right in. This is what makes this forum so successful. The willingness of everyone to share ideas is what helped me design my table and avoid problems others have had. With my schedule, it may be hours or even days before I can reply to a post. Keep the Info. flowing! S-N-M!