Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beautiful Butt...I hope...I have a Question

sbunker
sbunker Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First, is anyone up this time of night? I am ready to call it a night. I have had the butt on the egg since about 8:30. I rubbed, mustarded, and injected these last night. I have two 6lb butts on the egg. I am smoking with pecan. I have the placesetter upside down sitting on the top ring with a drip pan sitting 1/4 inch off. The grill sits on the drip pan so it puts the butt about an inch above the lower gasket. About an hour ago I put apple cider in the drip pan. I heard of people putting beer in the pan, but I would rather drink it. I have a steady temp of 250. Can I go to bed? Im on beer 8 right now. I was concerned I may have done to much, all at once this time. Who knows what I will end up with.

PS

God I love my egg.....12 years and counting.

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    I did a a 6lb butt on wed. Night at 8:30pm CST and had the egg dome temp pegged at 250 it went all night till 4:00pm CST using BGE lump and I pulled the Butt at internal temp of 190 double wrapped in foil let it rest for one hour had it for dinner THursday and tonight :) I would go to bed if everything looks good. I did wake up at 4:30 am because of a bathroom break... no worries :silly: I didn't even open the dome once B)
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i agree with pharmeggist go on to bed although i would check it sometime tonight.if your temp drops then get a coat hanger and bend it so you can clear out any ash in your bottom grate holes..

good luck ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Set your alarm for every two/three hours to peak at the temperature. I did my first pork butt cook last weekend and I slept on the couch so my alarm didn't wake the wife. Best of luck!!
    P.S. you could always stay up and keep beering and egging.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Go grab some sack time. I'd set the alarm and check it in a few hours. Have everything prepped to take it off in case it finishes in the early hours. No sense in looking for foil,coolers and platters at 5:30am,it'd just wake you up.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    I know my status is a newbie on the forum, but I am married to Bubba Tim, and a chef. You may want to drop your temp to 210-220, then go to bed. You want long and slow (smoke), right? (We ALL want long and slow....get ur brain out of the gutter.) :laugh:
    My 2 cents.... Sleep well, until about 5 am when you must check the egg. Advice....get the fan from BBQ Guru. Problems solved in the future for $100.

Good luck!
    Michelle
  • Stitches
    Stitches Posts: 102
    I betting you ended up with so mighty fine fine pulled pork. How did everything go?
  • Is this what you are talking about Michelle? I could not find a fan for the BGE on Fred's site
    thanks
    tim

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/BBQ_GURU_TURBO_GRATE_FOR_CERAMIC_COOKER_p/bbgturbulator.htm
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    No need for an alarm...he said he was on his 8th beer! Should be up a couple o' times gettin rid of that stuff. Can check the Egg then. :):)
  • update,

I got up at 5:00 and the temp was down to 150...at that point I opened the egg to get the temp back up. It took about an hour to get back to 225-250....internal temp this morning was 140...its at 153 now.....I just removed the daisy wheel and looked at it....It has a lot of fine juices running around on top of the meat...no real burnt spots...just dark golden brow...at this point I wait....the beer drinking toady starts at 12:00 while im waiting for the UGA game to start...

Go Dawgs !!!!!!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    210 is pushing it for a newbie. 250 is great for an overnight, then slow it down or speed it up in the morning as needed....

most large eggs cruise easily at 250
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    If you are talking Grate temp you are right. If you are talking Dome you are way too low.

250 will give you a grate them of 220-230. As stike said the egg seems to like 250 Dome.