Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick ET-73

Options
abundell
abundell Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I'm taking the plunge and buying an ET-73 after reading a bunch of posts.

Here's my question... I know where to stick the meat probe, but I'm wondering about the smoker probe. I have a large Egg. My inclination is to replace the Egg dome thermo with the smoker probe since I cook based on dome temp. Is that a good plan?

Thanks

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Whatever works for you is best. I like to know what the real temp is at the grate as well as the dome. Most of our recipes here use the dome temp but I like to know both.

Either will work, I put the probe through a piece of potato so it's not rest on the hot grate.

Hope that helps some, others will chime in.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    It has a clip so you can put it at grate level. That's what I do so I can see grate, dome, and internal temps.

Dave
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Go to Radio Shaft and get on of their alligator clips. It's the ones used to make cables. Just bend the end that you'd solder the wire too round the probe and clip it to the BGE Thermo.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I gotta get me something too. Im still using the ole Oregon Scientifics el'chepo. All I know is meat temp. Guess I shouldnt complain, Ive churned out about 100 pounds of pulled pork this summer and it was all ate :woohoo: I will get me something new as soon as this market turns :unsure:
  • Stitches
    Stitches Posts: 102
    Options
    abundell wrote:
    Well, I'm taking the plunge and buying an ET-73 after reading a bunch of posts.

Here's my question... I know where to stick the meat probe, but I'm wondering about the smoker probe. I have a large Egg. My inclination is to replace the Egg dome thermo with the smoker probe since I cook based on dome temp. Is that a good plan?

Thanks

you will love the ET-73.I like to take my readings from the grate level so I clip mine on the grate away from any direct flame and this is usually towards the back side of the egg.

If you going the dome route which is fine, then yes just replace the dome thermo with the smoker probe and you should be just fine.

Chris
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Options
    BBQ Guru makes something called a grill-tee. It has a high temp silacon base that "stuffs" into your grill bars and a "tree" to connect your probe to. They arn't real expensive and they meet the form/fit/function model perfectly. (I keep two in my bag). Just my 2 cents. thanks rc
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I like reading the temp at the grate. Celtic Wolf's tip works well.

GG
  • egg_centric
    Options
    I got my ET-73 and it came with a clip which attaches to the grill that has two holes to put the thermocouple probe through. That worked good.

My problem was the food probe. I tried to use it twice. The second time it got worse. It was intermittent HHH then LLL and sometimes read the tempurature. When I opened my XL BGE it seemed to cause the probe to malfunction. Is there a problem feeding it though the top between the gasket?

Maverick is sending me a new food probe under warranty.