Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yet another pizza "help me" question

Options
andy_b
andy_b Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large BGE and a 14 inch stone.

I preheat the stone in the egg between 475-500 for about 15-20 minutes.

I add a small amount of cornmeal to stone just before putting the pizza on.

The problem I am having is that my cheese is cooking faster than my dough is. It almost seems like I need to put the cheese on 2-3 minutes into the cook but every example I see on here shows the cheese going on at the beginning.

My pizza dough is not at all thick, although I guess I could always make it thinner...

Any suggestions?

Andy

Comments

• Cha-Cha
    Options
    I personally like the thinner crust pizzas on the BGE. Try making on you wont be disappointed.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    What is your setup?

I think two things could be issue. First and most likely, you need to let your stone heat up longer. Fifteen minutes may not be long enough to get the stone hot enough.

Second, maybe your moisture content of your dough is too high or the moisture cannot escape. Have you tried using a screen?
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Try lowering your cooking temps to 400 degrees for 1/2 hour. I get the best results with this combination...crisp crust and toppings not overdone.
  • Egg And I
    Options
    If you're happy with the way the crust turns out, then put the cheese on 2-3 mins into the cook!

Find what works for you and what you like. Don't get stuck in a rut, experiment!

There are too many variables here for a pat answer. What kind of cheese? Fresh and full of moisture, packaged and firmer? How thick is it sliced/grated? Thin crust or thick? How much sauce, other toppings? How high in the dome is the stone?

If you have access to a non-contact thermometer, preheat until the stone is at dome temp. May take longer than you've been using.

Nothing to do with what gets done quickly, but you might try putting the cornmeal on the peel and not the stone. You only need it to help the pizza slip off the peel, it won't stick to the stone after it's cooked for a bit. And burned cornmeal tastes bitter.
  • Egg And I
    Options
    For anyone who is even moderately serious about pizza, here's a super site including a really good forum. Not Egg based, but very comprehensive, and covers most styles.

These guys are as devoted to Pizza as Eggheads are to our toys. Not a bad combination!

Pizzamaking.com
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    I pre heat my stone for 30 minutes.Next tip would be to dock your dough and if you do not have a docker use a fork and prick the dough all over then put about 1 tbs evoo on you hands and lightly rub it over the surface of the dough then put your toppings on.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i might make some small changes, usually i see posts with burnt crusts. first heat the stone longer, second skip the cornmeal for better contact with the stone, then i might go even a little hotter or just a little thinner with the crust, i get three pies with a dough ball which makes a really thin crust. you didnt mention your setup, if you are using platesetter with a stone and an airspace, you could eliminate the air space and see what happens, the stone will be hotter that way.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hot Stuff
    Options
    i also think you need to let the pizza stone heat up more before putting the pie on ... at least a half hour after you reach your desired temp (450 to 500) in the egg ... that way the pizza will cook from the bottom up ... if this doesn't work for you, you might try closing the draft door and opening the lid to the egg after the cheese appears to be done to your liking and the top will stop cooking but the bottom of the crust will continue to cook from the heat of the pizza stone ... i have been cooking pizza at home for about 20 years now and i don't put the cheese on until i take the pizza out of the oven ... it melts just fine without turning black, and it won't burn the roof of your mouth as bad (if at all) when you take a bite of that much too hot pizza you couldn't wait to eat ...
  • andy_b
    andy_b Posts: 77
    Options
    Thanks to every one for the suggestions!

I apologize for not adding the set up.

Plate setter, legs down
    Pizza stone sitting on the 3 BGE feet giving a space between stone and plate setter.