Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg Ashpan

Options
Shiff
Shiff Posts: 1,835
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just purchased a large BGE and am getting everything ready for my first cook.

I bought the BGE ashpan because it says on their web page that it fits into the door and makes it easier to clean out the old ashes. Since I have bad knees, I thought this would be a good purchase.

I just tried it and it doesn't fit the ash door opening. It doesn't seem to hook on anywhere either.

Am I doing something wrong? Does anyone here have the same ashpan and made it work? If not, I think I'm going to return it and just use a cheap pan.

Barry
Large BGE
Barry, Lancaster, PA

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    The little lip on the ash pan clips into the track for the vent door when both the solid and mesh doors are wide open

It is not designed to go inside the egg. You still need to pull the ashes out to the pan with the Ash tool.
  • Shiff
    Options
    The lip on the ashpan just fits into the track when both doors are open, but it doesn't stay in place. I'd still have to use 2 hands to clean out the ashes. The BGE web page makes it sound like it firmly snaps in.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    No it takes two hands..
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Mine stays in the track on my large egg...doesn't so much "snap" in but it does stay there on it's own...you will have to hold up the handle end or support it somehow..the handle of mine rests on the shelf the egg sits on and it works just fine...
  • Shiff
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. I'll play with it a few more times before making a decision on whether to keep it.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Is your Egg in a Nest or a table? If a Nest, I slide a fireplace ash can under the opening and rake it into there. The ash pan is of more value for table applications.
  • Shiff
    Options
    Mine is in a nest and I don't think the ashpan is worth it. I can just empty the ashes into a plastic container since they're going to be cold when I do it.

I can see where a table would make it more useful.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA