Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron and Corn Bread Question

BigDaddy - OCT
BigDaddy - OCT Posts: 773
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a couple of CI muffin/corn bread molds for $7 each the other day. I'm not sure what to call them exactly but one is round and has molds that look like ears of corn and the other has 6 or 8 cups.

Any way, after I get them properly seasoned and ready for cooking do I heat them up before adding the batter or just pour it in to the molds and put them on the egg? I was afraid that if I didn't pre-heat them it would take too long for them to come up to temperature on the bottoms while the top burned.

Sorry for such a newbie question but thanks in advance for any advice.

Bruce

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    we usually heat the cast iron muffin tin (as I call it) for a few minutes at your baking temp then we add the batter. Makes a nice crispy crust!
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    i have the same mold and i preheat in the oven for 6-8 minutes before pouring in
  • If you are looking for a good cornbread recipe, I recommend this one by Celtic Wolf.

Ingredients :
    1 1/2 cups plain Cornmeal (not cornmeal mix or self-rising)
    1/2 cup Flour
    1 Tbs Baking Powder, preferably Rumford
    3/4 tsp Salt
    1/2 cup Sugar (I use Splenda) Use less if you want it less sweet.
    3/4 cup Milk
    3/4 cup Sweet Buttermilk
    1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
    2 large Eggs

Preparation :
    Preheat Egg to 400 degrees.
    Preheat Dutch Oven or a square baking dish in Egg.
    Blend dry ingredients in large bowl. Blend milk, oil, and eggs, and add to dry ingredients. Blend till all is combined.
    Use a small amount of Crisco or bacon grease (say about 1/4 tsp or so) into
    dutch oven or baking pan, brushing it to cover all surfaces well. Place back in oven for a few minutes - you want these hot.
    Remove pan from egg and pour mixture into the hot dutch oven or pan.
    Bake (covered) until golden brown on the top, about 20-30 minutes.
    Fork should go in and out clean.

Recipe Source
    Author: Peter P. Benac (Celtic Wolf)

Special note: Kim “Desert Filly” Price found a recipe that calls for toasting the corn meal.

She said: “I found the recipe. It was in Cook's Country Feb/Mar. It is Southern
    Style Skillet Cornbread. Says to heat oven 450. Heat a 10 inch skillet for 10 minutes. Bake cornmeal on backing sheet set on middle rack until
    fragratn and color begins to deepen, about 5 minutes. Transfer hot cornmeal to large bowl and whisk in buttermilk, set aside. .....the rest is regular recipes ingredients. Says that toasting the cornmeal gives the bread a richer corn flavor.

In addition, she said, “toast all of it. Also...said to preheat the skillet with the
    oils/butter in it before you add the mixture....that's what makes it
    crispy...

(I keep forgetting to do that part.)

Spring "Cornbread Is One Of My Middle Names" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    What Spring Chicken said :)
  • Laker
    Laker Posts: 110
    Yes, always preheat. I have used the recipe of Celtic Wolf as posted above with great results.
  • I would heat them up to get a good crust on the cornbread. The cornbread will rise. You only want to fill the "ears" 3/4 full to allow for rise.

Try this recipe, it is what I did at the fest

2 cups "hot rise" cornmeal
    2 eggs
    1/3 cup oil
    1/4 cup sugar
    16oz can of cream corn
    2 cups grated sharp cheddar
    4-5 jalapenos (leave seeds for hotter, remove seeds and use 2-3 peppers for milder)
    1 cup onion (diced finely)
    milk (enough to thin to about like thick pancake batter, the thicker the batter the more like cornbread, the thinner it is the more it will be like corn pudding)

Bake in oven at 400* in greased pan. Take you skillet and heat it up for 10-15 minutes in the oven. Wipe it with a thin layer of oil or butter and pour the batter in. When it passes the knife or toothpick test, pull at let sit for 15 minutes
  • That's awesome and thanks for the info. Thanks for the recipe Spring Chicken. One question about it...it says to bake "covered". I know the recipe is for a dutch oven so do I cover in foil?

Thaks again!

Bruce
  • I cooked mine in a skillet, uncovered.

Spring "I Egg, Therefore I Perform Magic" Chicken
  • Great, thanks much and thank you Crimsongator for your recipe!

BD