Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New hinge replacement

sbunker
sbunker Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my egg for about 10 years. It had the locking hinge when I purchased it. This time, when I replaced the gasket I decided to replace the hinge and install the spring hinge. I am looking at the bands and they dont have the nub that goes in the hole in front. Will this be an issue? I have never had an issue with the top coming out of the band before and Im wondering if it will be an issue now. Is there something I should do to avoid this or will it work fine just tightening it up well. I dont want to do anything that will make it hard to remove the top because I always separate the egg for easy gasket replacement. Sorry for the long post, just figured I would explain everything up front.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    The missing nub will not be a problem..Just tighten the bolts until they bend, and you should be fine...also re-tighten them after 3 or 4 months to be safe..
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    i was told those nubs were causing problems chipping out chunks of ceramic when assembling them. they havent used them for the last few years. definatly retighten them after the first few uses and a couple months later, i also check them about twice a year as the lower spring bolts also seem to loosen
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    The only issue us alignment of the thermometer hole, the handle and the draft door. The pins made sure that everything lines up. With the new bands you have to eyeball it. Mine's off a little, but not enough to make me go through the procedure again....yet. :ermm: