Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza help

Options
smoke
smoke Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
havent done a pizza in quite some time. is it plate setter legs down then pizza stone on top? also what was time and temp? thanks

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    You can do it either way. PS, legs up, with grid and pizza stone on the grid. Or, PS, legs down, ceramic feet on PS and pizza stone on ceramic feet. I do mine at 500 degrees....8-10 minutes should do it. The spacer are used to create an air space so pizza bottom won't burn.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I do mine with PS legs down with pizza stone on little green legs. I cook between 450 and 500 and note that the second pizza cooks faster then the first because teh Pizza stoe is hotter. I also use parchment paper between the stone and pizza
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    I do mine with the platesetter legs down and stone on top. I cook mine at 475/500 for about 12 minutes. Good luck to you. Tom Sautepeppersonionspeperonipizza1.jpgCheesesausagepizza.jpg
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I cook mine with the platesetter legs down and the stone on top with a spacer in between. I cook at 400 degrees for 1/2 hour. Seems to allow the ingredients to come up to temp, melt cheese, without over cooking the dough. I have tried higher temps but find I like the 400 degree dome the best.
  • Fossil Frank
    Options
    I too use a lower temp in the 420/450 range.I use this set-up.
    P1010077.jpg
    P1010245.jpg
    Frank from Indiana
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    there is no right answer to this, it really depends on what your looking for in a pizza. thicker crusts, heavey toppings, light toppings, thinner chewey crusts, cracker crusts, deep dishes, different style doughs, it all makes a difference. 400 dgrees you might not need an airspace, 500 degrees you probably will, 700 needs to be higher in the dome, 900 needs more heat mass, thinner crusts like a higher temp, thicker crusts like a lower temp, what you like in a pizza, i might not so experiment. if you want to just know my time and temp, 1100 degrees and 53 seconds made the best pizza i ever ate, crispy yet chewey, a light char on the crust, basil and cheese for a topping, heaven for me. experiment til you find what works for you and your pizza
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it