Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Hamburgers

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You're not going to believe it, but I have NEVER made a hamburger on the egg. So tonight was the night. Fired up the mini (as best I could with a trivet smashed in 6 pieces) and tossed on a couple burgers.[p]Why did I wait so long???? EliShark inhaled the first one and is now waiting on his second to come off. I topped mine with a little bleu cheese (no bun, of course) and it was DELICIOUS. I think we'll be having these often. How easy. Such happiness!!

Comments

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    MollyShark,
    I just wanted to tell you that I enjoy your posts so much. You're hoot. Keep 'em coming.

• Dave's Not Here
    Options
    MollyShark,
    Hmmmmmmm, come to think of it, I've had my MBGE for 3 months and have never cooked burgers on Mr. Egg. Maybe next weekend. This weekend's schedule is already full ... salmon is on as I type, wings and ABT's for the Falcon's victory tomorrow night, and Beer Butt Chicken on Sunday. Damn, we need longer weekends.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]Okay, you have to share how you did your burgers. Since you said you used Mini, I assume you did 'em hot and fast. I've done burgers a couple of different ways, but haven't yet narrowed down the perfect way. [p]I've had more success doing them indirect and slow--the first time I did them hot and fast I ended up with burger pieces broken up everywhere and stuck to my grill. Ooops. Wife wasn't too impressed with the results of that cook.[p]Do let me know--I've got a couple of Omaha Steaks burger patties thawing out for this weekend on Mini.[p]Thanks![p]TRex
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Oh, and what kind of meat did you use? I've had much better results with a more fatty meat--the ones that fell apart on me were like 98% super lean.[p]TRex
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    MollyShark,
    Well, here's a testimonial from a "full belly" from tonight's hamburgers or as we call them "Good Hamburgers"! I use only ground chuck and form them in a hamburger press having weighted out the meat for 4 oz and 6 oz for "his and her" burgers as we call them. I then quick freeze in the raw and then package in the Food Saver. As for the prep from there what we have grown to love is when I hit with a spray of olive oil from Mr Misto, then some California style garlic salt, fresh ground pepper, a sprinkle of dill weed, and then a thin layer of dijon mustard. Flip the raw burger and do the same treatment.
    Grill at 450° for 3/3, add a slice of hot pepper cheese, dwell for 2 and then serve. Condiments from there are a matter of personal choice (but you can't beat a slab of sweet onion, a strip of bacon and some dill pickle slices. Yumm...no make that YUMMMMMMMM!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    MollyShark,
    As you have found out hamburgers are great. I use really lean meat, sometimes I will add a little pork but not usually. I add bell pepper,green onion, some of the rub spices I have, a little horseradish and Dijon mustard, chopped up bits of bacon that I have cooked in the microwave, some black pepper and a small amount of 4 blend Mexican cheese. [p]Cook em at about 450° 3 to 4 min. per side depending on thickness. Oh, almost forgot, a small amount of BlueSmokes' Big Chief sauce mixed in with the meat.
    My company was very happy with theirs.[p]A great weekend to ya,
    New Bob

• mollyshark
    Options
    RRP,[p]The FOODSAVER! I never thought of that. What a great idea. Mine is due to arrive any minute (eBay deal on a 1050..first bought a 550 and then changed my mind). So you freeze them first and THEN put them in the foodsaver. Right?[p]This is an amazing place! I'm going to become such a burger addict! I can tell.
  • mollyshark
    Options
    TRex,[p]About 400 degrees or so, flip flip, and then shut it down for a couple minutes. Steak-like prep, but didn't get the heat up so much. Don't know if I can because a lot of my charcoal is sitting on the ground of the mini with that trivet in pieces! [p]Did have a little flareup problem at first. Was really concerned about getting much hotter with that anyway. Wonder if there is a good way to deal with it.[p]mShark
  • mollyshark
    Options
    TRex,[p]Not superlean. I don't like hamburgers with chuck or sirloin because they are too lean. This was LEAN hamburger. Not sure on the percentage. But there was a lot of white in it!
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    MollyShark,
    Hamburgers are one of our favorites too. I make 5 oz. patties, splash with worcestershire sauce, then season generously with Montreal Steak seasoning, pressing it in gently. Then we grill over a raised grid at 450* for about 3-4 minutes per side. [p]Not doing any egging tonight, I have to cook for a Cub Scout Spaghetti dinner today, but plan on doing chili on the egg tomorrow for Frito Pies.[p]~nikki

• RRP
    Options
    MollyShark,
    Yes they should be frozen for at least 3 hours if you want them to retain the shape from being molded in a press. Otherwise the FS will flatten fresh burgers like pancakes. Wife gave me a high five this morning AGAIN for how good those burgers were last night!

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    nikkig,[p]What are Frito Pies?[p]QBabe
    :~)

• nikkig
    Options
    QBabe,
    put fritos (the regular small ones) in the bottom of the bowl, put chili on top, then top with cheese. At fairs and festivals, the popular way to eat it is to get the small individual size bags, cut them open along the side, and put the chili and cheese in the bag. Yum yum![p]~nikki

• Rick
    Rick Posts: 45
    Options
    RRP,
    Where did you find a burger press that would do 6 oz. burgers? The only one I can find will only do 4 oz.[p]Thanks,[p]Rick

• nikkig
    Options
    Rick,
    We do 6oz. burgers in our Tupperware hamburger press with no problems. I don't use the storage containers, just wrap mine in saran. I buy hamburger in bulk, and make patties to freeze for me and the boys. We also just did 22 pounds of deer burgers for hubby and my daughter. Having the press sure made it quick and easy.[p]~nikki

[ul][li]Tupperware Burger Press[/ul]
  • RRP
    Options
    Rick,
    It was at a local gourmet store with pricey "this and thats", but I only gave 4 bucks. I know I've made 8 oz burgers with it but that took some real effort as the piston had little travel distance and the grunt power was in compressing the hamburger together. Otherwise 4, 5, 6 oz ones are a snap.