Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison ribs?

Options
Smokin' Todd
Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I work with a few hunters and they say they discard the ribs after butchering the venison. They say deer fat is something nasty.
Anyone here agree/disagree? They all say I am welcome to have the ribs, but need some opinions before I take on the task of attempting to egg some.
Thanx

Comments

• Buckdodger
    Options
    Todd...Hunted for many yrs and never heard of any of my buds eating the ribs. As I recall there was not much meat on them and the fat (to me) was not edible. The only venison I have egged is from a hind quarter and I made jerky out of the hunk that was given to me. Which BTW was great.
    Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Hi Todd. From another life-long hunter, no on the ribs. They're not worth the trouble and deer fat is nasty stuff like your buds said. I try to remove every shred of it before I package my venison for the freezer. It's pain staking work, but the fat will taint the meat if not completely removed. Mark