Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I (finally) cooked some'en

Options
Charleston Dave
Charleston Dave Posts: 571
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I brought this funny egg-shaped green thing back from Atlanta a few weeks ago:
IMG_0180.jpg
and figured it was well past due to actually cook something on it.

So, my first cook was probably a bit too ambitious with friends over last week for an Election Night party. They wanted to cook, and, well, that slowed things up a bit. Also, managing multiple proteins on the Egg when I'm a novice at regulating Egg temperature was a bit tricky. Menu was as follows:

Trio of Kebabs with "Stoplight" Peppers, Vidalia Onions, and Campari Tomatoes:
—Local South Carolina Shrimp Vacuum-Marinated in Lemon Ginger Sauce
—Chicken
—Sirloin Vacuum-Marinated in Sesame Ginger Teriyaki Sauce
Jasmine Rice with Wild Mushrooms, Raisins and Dried Cranberries
Collards with Ham Hocks, Molasses and Homemade Pepper Vinegar
Baby Carrots Sous-Vided in Fresh Carrot Juice
Overnight Belgian Yeast Waffles with Ice Cream and Macerated Strawberries

Here are the skewers prepped:
IMG_4845.jpg

On the Egg:
IMG_4847.jpg
IMG_4848.jpg

And served family-style:
IMG_4849.jpg
IMG_4850.jpg
IMG_4851.jpg

With the (probably) last hibiscus of the season (sigh):
IMG_4846.jpg

Everything was tasty, and I gained in my Egg skills from this first cook. The hardest part was temp regulation, particularly with three different proteins, and I suspect things would have been easier if I had loaded more lump to start. Having hugely-curious-about-the-Egg-never-seen-one-before guests who "helpfully" opened the lid and tweaked vents when I wasn't looking made it harder. Temperatures jumped from 200 to 600. I finally had to lay down the law and tell 'em that they get no more bourbon if they touch the Egg again. I also had some problems with the firestarters and had to relight.

This meal whetted my appetite enough that for football Sunday today I downscaled and did a simple grill of sweet Italian sausage and grilled asparagus with lemon zest vinaigrette. Surprise, surprise, about half my lump was still unused, and I hadn't loaded the Egg with all that much back in the Election Night cook. Startup with an oil-daubed paper towel proved more effective.

This dinner almost assuaged the pain from that Steelers game:
IMG_4917.jpg
IMG_4918.jpg
IMG_4920.jpg

Thanks to all for encouragement and education. :)
Pardon me, but I believe I have a butt that needs rubbed...

Comments

• An Egg Downunder
    Options
    Looks great - that's what I call a well balanced meal!

Your egg seems comfy. Hey is that a stick shift? I thought the ability to change gears was bred out of Americans in the 1960s :lol:
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Wow!! Great pics and rite up. ;) Looks like you have jumped right on in head first to Eggdom and doing a good job. One comment, If your going to use my "Some'en" line you got to learn to missspell more! :laugh:
  • Craig
    Craig Posts: 72
    Options
    Looks awesome!!!

I have to ask. I've seen the contraction "some'en" before. I must be a moron because I don't know what it means. So, what does it mean? :blush:
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    JL:

Thats Vary Funy. :laugh:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    if you use those pressed sawdust starters, you may find it works better to leave the lid open, letting in plenty of air.

if they don't get enough air, they'll go out and smolder, throwing white smoke and not really flaming enough to ignite the lump.

couple secrets to adjusting temps. you can always default to hi-med-lo thinking. mening, wide open (high will get you near 600+. almost shut, 250 or so, and so smack dab in the middle is 350/400

ignore temps when you open/shut the dome. when you shut it after opening and flipping the food and the thermo says "300", it isn't 300. the thermometer has cooled down, but the fire just took in a lot of ai. if you try to reset the temp every time you open the lid, you'll chase temps all day.

secret to not chasing temps is having the patience to not chase temps.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    It is a take on Southern vernacular. Also seen as sumptin or sumpin.

It translates to "something".
  • Tripmaker
    Options
    stike wrote:
    couple secrets to adjusting temps. you can always default to hi-med-lo thinking. mening, wide open (high will get you near 600+. almost shut, 250 or so, and so smack dab in the middle is 350/400

I assume you are talking about the lower vent. How would the daisy wheel be set or is that the same as well? I have no problem setting a lower temp say 250, but have trouble setting and maintaining 350-400.
  • Bama Chad
    Options
    Leave the bottom vent all the way open , and the top vent closed, but with the slits completely open..and you should stay around 350-400.
  • Craig
    Craig Posts: 72
    Options
    Fidel wrote:
    It is a take on Southern vernacular. Also seen as sumptin or sumpin.

It translates to "something".

Ah ha!! Thank you.
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    An Egg Downunder wrote:
    Your egg seems comfy. Hey is that a stick shift? I thought the ability to change gears was bred out of Americans in the 1960s :lol:

Sure is!

Before deciding to go to Atlanta, I'd asked a few Eggers about getting the new baby home from Eggtoberfest. As it turned out, she just barely fit in the front seat with the seat all the way back.

Seat belt, naturally!
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    JLOCKHART29 wrote:
    One comment, If your going to use my "Some'en" line you got to learn to missspell more! :laugh:

Yup, that was my tribute to you, JL--call it one Southerner to another!

Glad you caught the tribute. ;)
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    stike wrote:
    if you use those pressed sawdust starters, you may find it works better to leave the lid open, letting in plenty of air.

if they don't get enough air, they'll go out and smolder, throwing white smoke and not really flaming enough to ignite the lump.

ignore temps when you open/shut the dome. when you shut it after opening and flipping the food and the thermo says "300", it isn't 300. the thermometer has cooled down, but the fire just took in a lot of ai. if you try to reset the temp every time you open the lid, you'll chase temps all day.

secret to not chasing temps is having the patience to not chase temps.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try your Lo/Med/Hi approach to temps, that sounds like something I can follow! I've yet to have good results with the BGE firestarters (results were as you described), so I may start using more per light, or just abandoning that technique in favor of the oil-daubed paper towel approach. One nice thing about Egging is that there are invariably many ways to get to the same goal...