Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili - Beans or No Beans?

Big Papa
Big Papa Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Whats everyones opinion on this subject?

please follow-up with your favorite recipe if you would please :)

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Personal preference - I like beans in my chili. I usually put in a mix of black beans and dark red kidney beans. Sometimes just black beans.
  • Beans!! and I never make chili the same way twice.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Truthfully I haven't made chili in years. Mainly cause I am usually the only one eating it.

When I do I usually leave some set aside for things that I can use chili on that does not do well with beans. Slaw Dogs and Slaw Burgers or just plain Chili Dogs and Chili Burgers come to mine.

I will usually add Kidney beans.
  • Love eating different kinds of chili.

Some with beans & tomatoes are some the best IMO.

GG
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    beans, but the key is what YOU like, not what WE like!

As for a recipe - this is drop dead easy, but quite good. Only thing missing in the picture is 10 oz of Hot & Spicey V-8 juice.
    IMG_2670.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Beans here! The following is a recipe which I've used for years and is from one of the original "Marlboro Country" cookbooks (that was back when I used to smoke... more on that later). The only things I've changed are to halve the amt. of chile powder and substitute roasted red peppers for the hot variety. This one won't light your after-burner but you can make that possible! There's a whole lot of flavors here and it's definitely worth toying with!

http://www.recipesource.com/soups/chili/wild-card1.html
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Dark red kidney beans for me. I'm doing Egrets chili right now for the first time. I cut the recipe in half and it about filled up my 5 qt. D.O. Sure does smell good.

Link below.

Cheers,
    Bordello

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=412053&catid=1
  • Bordello
    Hi Ron,
    That was very well put and so very true. One person's best restaurant is not necessarily good for everyone. We all have regional taste and preferences.

Cheers,

Bordello
  • Rascal
    I like to use it for Huevos rancheros! Nice way to start the day! 8 - )~~
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Beans for me. I think I need to make some chili, myself.

Mike
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Politics, religion, and chili with beans. All banned topics! ;)

Real chili should have the beans served on the side never in the chili. The beans can cause an odd 'tooth' to the bowl and that's not good.

However, egret's chili ain't too bad and has a nice melange of flavors and a kick that is okay of women and children. ;)
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Beans here.
    Larry
  • Rascal
    We'll all stay tuned... Please keep us informed!! Right now.. gotta go check the tires before the pressure police arrive!!
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Now I have to worry about the pressure police! Is it ever going to stop? ;)
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I prefer beans unless making for hot dogs as mentioned earlier. Here is a batch I did this past Saturday.

Chili, Pork, Scotchman's Red Chili

OH, what to do with the leftover meat from trimming pork ribs!

100_1286.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    4 Lbs. Pork Riblets, Trimming of St Louis Ribs
    10 Lbs Pork Roast, Bone-In Pork
    4-6 Whole Poblano Chiles, Roasted on BGE
    2-3 Cups Bell Peppers, Chopped, I Prefer Red or Yellow
    4 Large Onions, Coarse Chopped
    3-4 Ribs Celery, Chopped
    3 Tbs. Jalapeños, Chopped
    2 Cans Beer
    2 Bunches Cilantro, Chopped, Leaves Only
    2 10 Ozs Rotel, Original
    20 Whole Tomatoes, Fire Roasted On BGE, Peeled and Crushed
    3 Cups Tomatoe Juice
    2 4 1/2 Ozs Can Green Chilis, Chopped
    2 15 1/2 Ozs Can Kidney Beans, Red/Pink, include liquid
    1 7 Ozs Can Chipolte Sauce
    2 Cups Pork/Beef/Chicken Stock
    1 Tbs Red Pepper, Coarse Ground
    3 Tsp Chili Powder, Chimayo
    2 Tbs Pepper, White, Ground
    2 Tsp Cayenne pepper
    2 Limes, Juice of
    4 Tsp Cumin
    3 Tbs Garlic, Coarse, Chopped
    4 Tbs Oregano, Mexican
    Salt/Pepper to taste
    1/2 Stick Butter

Procedure:
    1 Cook the riob meat in a pot on the stove for about 2 1/2-3 hours. Turn off and when cool, drain the liquid--save some for the stock, and degrease it, separate the meat from the bones and fat. yielded about 3-4 cups of meat. The pork roast (3 pieces 2 onches thick) were placed indirect on BGE @350F for 2 1/2 hours. Then placed in the chile pot, bones and all.
    2 BGE 300°F-325°F, indirect, plate setter legs up, spacers under the DO, no top. I prefer to sauté the veggies on the stove, but the egg will work also. 2-3 pieces of apple wood for smoke flavor.
    3 In heavy 9 quart Dutch Oven, saute onions, celery, garlic, add tomatoes, liquids, spices. Cook on simmer for 3 hours. Stir about every 30 minutes so it does not stick.
    4 After 2 1/2-3 hours, add cilantro, pre-cooked pork, beans w/liquid. Cook 2 more hours., may need to add some more tomato juice if it starts to get dry. Add 1/2 stick butter at end for texture.Serve or reheat second day for better flavor. Freezes well.

Yield: 9 Quarts
    Preparation time: 45 minutes
    Cooking time: 5 hours
    Ready in: 6 hours

Recipe Type
    Dutch Oven, Main Dish, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2008/11/08
  • :laugh: :laugh:

I am going to try the no bean sometime soon but for now.. tomatoes & beans. Yum.

I think I have sorted out the 'bean' recipe I think I told you about. The problem is it makes 16 qts, well it isn't a problem for me as it is great stuff.

I am going to try to get the recipe down to 1 or 2 servings. Now if that works I will send some over to you.

GG
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    No beans. Don't mind them in white chili. First time to make chili on the BGE. I liked being able to get some smoke into the meat and veggies in the beginning, but having an indirect setup took about an additional 30 minutes to brown the meat. Wasn't in a hurry anyway.
    chili003.jpg
    Is it me or does the pot seem to get a little messier outside? Maybe it's because I wasn't taking picture of my cooks before.
    chili007.jpg
    Ate the first setting as Frito Pie.
    chili008.jpg
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • BBQonJ
    BBQonJ Posts: 60
    Another vote for with beans and tomatos.

Dave
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    While we like and eat a lot of beans, we don't put them in our Texas chili

(I do put them in our crockpot white chicken chili and serve them on the side of Texas chili).

Here are two of our favorite recipes for each:

Perini Ranch Steakhouse Chili

4 lbs chili meat, coarse grind or lean ground beef
    1 large onion, diced
    1 jar (16 oz.) chunky style picante sauce, medium heat
    1 can (16 oz.) stewed tomatoes
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 Tbs cumin seed
    3 Tbs chili powder
    1 tsp dried oregano
    2 cups hot water
    salt and pepper, to taste
    1 fresh jalapeno

1. In heavy skillet, over medium-high heat brown meat, onion and garlic.

2. Add oregano, chili powder, cumin, tomatoes and hot water. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer about one hour.

3. Add jalapeno, salt, pepper and picante sauce. Cook additional 15 minutes.

4. Alternatively, after browning, pour all ingredients through hot water into a slow cooker and let cook on low for 5-8 hours. Then add season to taste and add jalapeno and let cook 15 minutes more.

Crock Pot White Chicken Chili

1 lb dry navy or other small/medium dry white beans, soaked (I like Ojo de Cabra if you can find them)
    1 medium onion, chopped
    3 cloves minced garlic
    8 oz chopped green chiles
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp oregano
    1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves
    14 oz chicken broth
    1 cup water

1. Put beans in medium pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and allow to simmer 20 minutes. Discard water. Variation: To save time, you can subsitute the navy beans by buying canned white beans. Make sure to drain them.

2. Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. For more flavor, brown in a skillet with a little olive oil.

3. Put all ingredients in your slow cooker and mix thoroughly.

4. Cook on low 10-12 hours or high 5-6 hours.

Servings: 6

Michelle
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Thanks, Bob!

As you said there are regional favorite ingredients and other than pleasing judges in chili contests I stand firm that YOU should make the chili that YOU like. Whether it is a simple blend of items or a shot, dash, or cup of everything you have in your pantry and refrig that is cool with me! I swear though, back in the 60's there was a bar where I was going to college in Warrensburg, MO that had the best chili I have EVER had. It was basically meat cooked in one pot and red beans cooked with GOD only knows what spices and peppers in another. ONLY when it was served did the contents of the two pots meet! To this day I dream of that chili!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bordello
    You're welcome Ron. I know what you mean about wishing you could get something you used to love. Wish my mom was still here so I could get some of her recipes. Oh well, hind sight in this case doesn't work so well. :(

Hope the shoulder is coming along O.K.

Regards,
    Bob