Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some help and ideas

Options
Tennisbum
Tennisbum Posts: 228
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok long story short I have been given a $200 gift card for BGE accessories. I have plate setter, pizza stone, grid extender. What else would you suggest I get.
Thanks
gp

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
  • Bob-O
    Bob-O Posts: 211
    Options
    cast iron grate
  • thirdcookie
    Options
    Ditto on the mini....
  • Tennisbum
    Options
    ok, three of you have said a mini, care to expand on that.
    Thanks
    gp
  • th_mini004.jpg

th_minisausage002.jpg

portable versitle quick easy on lump
  • Tennisbum
    Options
    ok thanks guys nuff said there will probably be a mini in my future.
    gp
  • Auburnegger
    Options
    What size egg do you have now? Everyone on this site says go two below. So if you have a large use that credit to get you a small or some other eggcessories!! I am no expert but all I have read on this site leads me to believe the small is a better choice than the mini.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i would tend to agree with you. . .if you only have a large now, my second egg would be a small as well (in fact my second egg after my large was a small - then another large). ...but in this case, if he really only has 200 bucks to spend and can only go a little over that, then a mini may be the only way to go, as most of the time i think a fully equiped small usually goes for around 400 bucks, and if he goes and buys that he may need to sleep on your front porch for a while :woohoo:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Eggactly why I suggested a Mini
  • Auburnegger
    Options
    How many is he cooking for should be the question. If it is just one than I agree the mini is the way to go. If two or three than wait a month or two and save up for the small. That is what I am doing. Been saving up for six months for the freaking large!!! :angry:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    We need to do a better job at telling people how much can be cooked on each of the eggs.

The mini is a great cooker for 2 or 3 people. I have cooked enough chicken on my small for 5 or 6 people.

I am not disagreeing with you that the Large and Small are a great combo. I am simply saying that with a 200 gift certificate a Mini is a great choice too.

Plus GC have an expiration date. Maybe Tennisbum can't wait two or three months
  • Auburnegger
    Options
    Well with that said I will take back my comments about the mini as I have never cooked on one. The Celtic definetly knows more about this than I do. Take his advice because I was under the impression the mini was not very functional. That actually was what I was told from a dealer. :blink:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    I have yet to figure out why dealers do that.. Maybe the profit margin is not high enough on the Mini.

Truthfully the people here will tell you the truth about each size egg. You can take what we tell you to the bank
  • Auburnegger
    Options
    Why does the majority seem to like the small so much with the large? I do like the idea of the mini and almost bought one recently just could not make myself do it because of the love for the small on this site. Maybe that would be a good poll, do you prefer small or mini and WHY? It is very confusing because they are very different in size and price!! :huh:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Your poll is going to find that we like both.

What you need to understand is each egg has a niche of its own. If that gift certificate was for 400 dollars most of us would have said get a small.

It's not, so we recommended the Mini.
  • Tennisbum
    Options
    Ah thanks Guy, I think. Went to bed with visions of a mini in my head and woke up to a good discussion of mini vs. small. That is why I love this forum so much. I have a large right now and really only cook for two. So that might slant my decision some.
    Again thanks for the input will let you know what I get.
    gp
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    My experience is what CW said.

My situation for the most part is my wife and I.

I bought my large. A few weeks later looked at the mini and the dealer said he wouldn't get it because it is more of a novelty. Looking at the mini, I thought why even make the thing.

I bought the medium, bigger is better thinking. I went in and looked at the mini again, well 5 or 6 more times. At that time there wasn't much posting about the mini. Dealer said he wouldn't get the mini.

I then bought the small. Another few times of looking at accessories & the mini I bought some CI grid and some spices.

Several more times to the dealer still saying he wouldn't get one. I asked the dealer if he ever used one.

Dealer said no he hadn't cooked on a mini and the mini on his floor was the only mini he had since he got his first shipment.

I ended up buying that mini.

I was amazed how much fun and how useful the mini is. I can cook for my wife and I as well as 3 of the younger grand kids.

Knowing what I know now and with my situation, I would get the large, next the mini.

Since getting the mini, I have thought about selling the medium or small. I just can't decide which one to part with.

GG
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Either one you buy will be a good choice.

If you have the extra cash to add to that certificate get the small. If not, get the mini.