Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rump roast.

Options
Old Salt
Old Salt Posts: 357
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need advice on roasting a rump roast. Do I cook it like a brisket but not as long? Direct or indirect. What temp? Meat temp?
My wife always oven cook it and there's no red meat. I like my beef at least pink. So I told her I'd cook it on the egg. I know it's a strange cut of meat but can it be cooked until it's tender and juicy without being overcooked.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I did a small 3 pound one yesterday at 350 direct on a raised grid and took it off at 105 internal. Put in the fridge overnight them ran it thru the slicer this morning for Cheese steaks during the week.

101_2620.jpg
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Cook it the same way she does in the oven but not near as long.

The last time I did a rump roast I put it in a roaster at 350. In the roaster I have some beef broth with sliced carrots, onion and celery. I coated the beef with plain of Salt and Pepper, but if you have some Cowlick or Raising the Steak either of them would be good.

135 internal will get you slightly past rare. Keep an eye on it cause it will cook fairly fast because it is a lean cut of meat. Make sure the meat probe is in the middle.

Make a gravy with the stuff in the roaster. Slice thin and service with the gravy.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Looks great, what kind of slicer are you using?

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    It's an old cheapy made by Rival. I thing I paid $35 for it 15 years ago in my jerky making days.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Hell, 15 years and it's still working, ya got your money's worth. :laugh:

Cheers,
    Bordello