Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rut Row, Bubba Tim is in the Dog House!

bubba tim
bubba tim Posts: 3,216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Little Chef is going to have my asteroids. The day started off fine. I started the prep for the Zippylip inspired Bubba Cakes and Bubba Bites.
PB092908.jpg
Mixed up 2/3 ground beef, 1/3 ground pork, Taco seasoning, 1 egg, and panko bread crumbs into a bowl and gently mixed.

Next: cut the jalapenos into slices and some into a small dice. Took the seeds and veins out of the slices then stuffed them with cream cheese.
P4140003.jpg

Filled the bottom of a silicon muffin mold the the "meat" mix and push down a pepper cheese plug for the Bubba Cakes

P4140004.jpg

Some I topped with bacon, others with hard salami. Some are stuffed with a "plug" some, diced onions and jalapenos. Some of the Bites were down upside down. Put the dice mixture in first then the meat mix. Here they are before going on the egg.

PB092909.jpg

Now for the Dog House part: I put a little too much apple chips on for smoke and was afraid that the creations would taste too smokey. So I opened the dome and open the bottom vent to burn off the chips.
Well that should take about 10 minutes. Being the a good Bubba and not wanting Little Chef knowing what I did to her kitchen, I started to clean up. 45 minutes later I looked at my watch and thought the bite should be ready about now. As I went out the door I just remembered that the dome was up and the bottom vent was wide open. Did you know silicon melts at 900 degrees? I do. :huh:

PB092911.jpg
PB092913.jpg

I sure hope Bed Bath & Beyond has those in stock. If not, I will be sleeping on Zippy's couch. :blink:
SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Looks like your just not cut out for baking :laugh: :laugh: even meat pies :laugh:. Better hurry and make sure you get the right colors :whistle: I have an extra couch if you need it ;)
  • bubba tim,

You used her bakeware? Oh man.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• so that's what melted silicone looks like :laugh:
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    well that sucks see what happens when you get out the muffin molds :laugh:

good luck i used one of my wife's cake pans for a drip pan it is mine now :whistle:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Shouldn't be too hard to find some replacements quickly. Those silicone bakeware are pretty common now -- can get them at Wal-Mart cheaply, no need to head to BB&B.
  • Hope the cat will move over. :laugh:
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Hey Tim,at least you didn't cut the handle off of her favorite cast iron skillet so it would fit in the egg:whistle:I now know better :lol: Good luck :pinch: :laugh:
  • Bubba Tim...you are baddd. Thanks for letting us know what temp silcone melts. I'll be careful when I make my Rum cakes.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    AHHHH The Blessings of having a wife that does not cook.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    bubba, glad I could be part of (in spirit anyway) a cooking catastrophe somewhere other than my house :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: , was beginning to think I was the only one that melted/blew things up;

I recently learned that leather melts too, when I used one of my Harley gloves as an oven mitt to wrap around the cast iron pan (the other one was on my hand), later when I went to put the mitt on the index finger was almost closed up, sad day in Zippyville
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Celtic Wolf
    Leather doesn't melt, but that fluffy stuff inside does.. Petroleum Products at their finest.. :woohoo:
  • Zippylip
    That is what I thought, but trying to put the glove back on is reminiscent of that OJ scene, & there is no fluffy liner in these, very confusing :huh:
    happy in the hut
  • OUCH!! If you have a Linens & Things, check them out..at least the one down the street from us is Going out of Business and has some really good deals.

I picked up a Henckels Professional S 9" Santoku this week for $60. It might just be out store, but no sense going broke to get out of the doghouse!
  • Celtic Wolf
    I will bet they are lined in some why. That lining is usually some petroleum based product.
  • Celtic Wolf
    You must not be married?? :woohoo:

She will KNOW those are not the right ones.. Tim is sleeping on Zippy's couch no matter what..
  • Zippylip
    oops, I stand corrected, after my last post I went & turned it inside out, & there is a thin black nylon looking liner in there, not sure after hav'n them for 10 years how I missed that :blush: , but, ya know, **it happens, I guess if I jam a dowel in there or something I can break it lose & get back to using them as my trusty egg'n gloves (the Harley is long gone :( )...
    happy in the hut
  • Heck Tim it's simple.

Just Little Chef you need another egg. It looks like there is a hot spot in this one. "See honey", these on this side look pretty good but, those on that side, there must have been a real air path problem in the lump."

Or / and.

I was just following an idea Zippylip had. His egg is newer and if I had another egg these kinds of things just wouldn't have happened.

Kent
  • Zippylip
    after last night's beer drinking related infractions & misunderstandings :ermm:
    happy in the hut
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Too late he's already on his way :whistle:
  • The question that needs to be asked:

Where did all that vaporized silicone go?
    In to the air?
    On to the cooler dome?
    On to the other muffin tin?
    Onto the other meat pies?

Probably a good idea to clean the inside of the dome before firing that baby up again.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Sorry to hear/see that. Reminds me of the time I went out in the morning to find the transmitter of my maverick had somehow got in to the egg the night before when I removed whatever I was cooking. It was melted.
    Too much adult beverage. :(

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • bubba tim
    First off, Thanks one and all for your feed back and words of wit. Yes, I even learned that Harley gloves don't work in high temps.
    Interesting things happen to that silicon baking molds. You would think it will melt. It kind of does, but it turns to powder when you touch it.

P4150002.jpg

So after 4 hours all closed up in the egg, I can start the clean up. Good news, the dome was up so all the fumes escaped into the air and my plate setter now is really clean! Looking into the fire box it was discovered that there was pieces of blue silicon mixed in the lump. Rut Row. This could be bad JuJu. Yep, sure enough, all that new lump was contaminated and must be thrown away. So I grabbed the old RO bag and started to fill. I got most of it out and grabbed the shop vac.

P4150003.jpg

P4150004.jpg

There was flakes of blue everywhere. Took some foil and dig a good job cleaning the sides and dome. Put it all back together and filled it up with fresh lump. Wait! what is that smell? Smells like...like burning paper. Ahh crap! the RO bag is burning. So I do the Man thing and run and grab a hose to put the fire out. Hey, this is cool. The bag is filling up with water and the coals are now out. Hey wait, what is this black crap coming out of the bag? Chit, the bag is leaking black lump water. No problemo, I will just move it to the grass. That was close. Ok, back to the egg. Got the lump light but I still smell this smell. Now it smells more like plastic. Chit! The shop vac! Run, grab hose, squirt water, problem solved. Phone rings, Chef buddy is on his way to put the Beef ribs on the egg. Better move the bag of RO to the trash. Did you know that paper gets soggy when it gets wet? Yep, the freakin bag broke.

P4150005.jpg

SCREW IT! I AM STARTING EARLY!

P9072800.jpg

and I just got a call from LC, she is having a really bad day also. I didn't tell her yet. No need to throw gas on a fire... :whistle:
    :whistle:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Zippylip
    You better hope this post drops to page 2
    happy in the hut
  • bubba tim
    No worries, I will just come clean and take my asteroid chewing. :huh: :unsure: :(