Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Size Egg?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am very close in purchasing my first egg and need some help in deciding what size egg to purchase, medium or large? Can the medium size egg handle about a 14 lb turkey on a vertical roaster? Does the larger egg consume a lot more charcoal?
Anybody out there bought the medium and wished that they had boughten the larger egg?

Comments

• mike
    mike Posts: 152
    Bacardi,
    The general feedback is, if in doubt, go large, you'll be happy with the extra capacity when you start cooking for larger groups.
    Enjoy!

• Bacardi,[p]I feel that the first egg should be large - buy small(er) ones if you decide to purchase additional eggs for increased flexibility and mixed cooks. (doing low and slow on large and something else on the additional eggs)[p]The large can do it all - and for a few or a lot of people.
  • Bacardi,
    I don't think the large will use THAT much more charcoal. If you can afford it, go for the large. You won't regret it. I bought the large and I'm glad I did. Now almost two years later, I'm going to add a small, but I'm sooooo glad I didn't buy the small first.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Bacardi,
    LARGE.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Bacardi,
    I was considering a medium when I first started shopping. Decided that for the little extra money, the large was worth it, figuring it would be the last grill I'd buy. Little did I know, I'm about to buy a small for side dishes, etc. But I am very glad I went with the initial large version. You won't regret it.

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Bacardi,
    As stated below, go large first. I have a large,
    a mini and a small, acquired in that order. Someday
    I'll pick up a medium to fill the gap, but I don't
    really need it. The large will be you're workhorse.
    Chuck

• Caney
    Caney Posts: 36
    Bacardi,[p]Large, no regrets!

• Bacardi, Go with the large. I started with a medium, traded within a year for the large, no regrets. You will use more lump but not that much more. I have just added a mini for camping and burgers at home. Get the large.

• Bacardi,[p]Get a large. I have a medium and wish I had a large. Not that I always need the extra space, but it sure would be nice.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Bacardi, it doesn't make any difference. Buy a medium and you immediately wish you had a large. Buy a large and sooner or later you're going to want a medium as well. It just is that way. It creates cermic cooker envy in all of us. Buy one and then you have got to have all the sizes. Get one of all the sizes and then you need two of each size. It just goes and goes. I'm thinking of starting a BGEA (Big Green Egg Anonymous)chapter. "Hi! I'm Bill and I'm a green cookaholic."