Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st ribs OK but wife thinks different.

Options
Jeff J
Jeff J Posts: 55
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, first ribs this past sunday, JJ's rub, direct in rack, I was going for 225 for 4 hours - ended up 275 3 hours, little sauce last 30 min. The taste was amazing, best I've had, but the were a little tough, baby back ribs btw. I've always boiled my ribs the grilled and they fall off the bone - what my wife likes. We're having a party this saturday and the guests want my famous ribs but I want BGE RIBS! I figure they will be more tender if I cook at 200 for 5 hours, correct? No plate setter or fire bricks, plate setter on the way though dk if I'll have it in time, plus I'm doing 6 racks. Any ideas on how get them falling off bone tender, mustard maybe? I'm up poo creek if these don't work out. Thanks

Comments

• Pig Sooie
    Options
    Jeff J,[p]It sounds like you don't have much time to practice before this weekend. I recommend going to Tim M's or GFW's web sites and following their 3/1/1.5 recipe (or one of the variations thereof) to their exact specifications (you don't need a plate setter by the way, I use a simple metal pan filled with water and a smaller grill over that to create indirect heat). [p]If you follow their recipes, your ribs will be very good if not great. After your folks leave this weekend, you can then experiment and nail down your own technique, if desired.[p]

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Jeff:[p]One school of thought is that they might need to have been cooked at a little lower dome temperature and for a longer period of time.[p]On the other hand, another school of thought would be to just continue to boiling ribs for your wife . . .
    [/b]
  • bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    Jeff J,[p]BOILING......stop the insanity. Really, did you use foil during the cook. It has the same effect, steaming for tenderness, except keeps the flavor. I have cut my foil time down because the bones fall out after they are unrapped.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Jeff J,[p]I do my ribs at 350-375° indirect for about 4 hours. You really can't mess them up. I'm too lazy to do the 3-1-1 method and I'm not a fan of using foil anyway, but that method seems to have a following here, too. Either way, you can't go wrong. Oh, by the way, I only do pork spares, not baby backs. I'm not sure whether that matters or not with regards to the method. Good luck.[p]Jim
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Jeff J,[p]I've done both spares and baby backs...my preference is bb's. Never had a problem with 3/1/1.5 method mentioned below. They always fall apart as I'm trying to get them off the grill at the end of the cook. Check out GFW's or Tim M's sites and give the method a try. It really works.[p]QBabe
    :~)

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Jeff J,[p]My first attempt at ribs I did the following on one rack of baby backs, split in half:[p]1) Smoked them indirect (firebricks and drip pan) for about 1.5 hrs, uncovered. I used a mixture of hickory and apple wood. Dome temp 275ish.[p]2) Cooked them indirect wrapped in foil for about 2.5 hrs. Dome temp 325ish.[p]3) Cooked them direct for about 20 minutes to carmelize the sauce. Dome temp 350ish. Just watch for flames--you don't want excessive charring.[p]I used a dry rub initially, then a sweet sauce for phase 3, then a spicier finishing sauce. They were fall-off-the-bone tender, just how I like them. No boiling required.[p]I have to give credit to my buddy Buffy for this method--it worked great.[p]Good luck![p]TRex
  • Jeff J
    Jeff J Posts: 55
    Options
    I need to cook 6 full racks, can I get that many on going the 3/1/1 method on my large. Don't you think if I went only 200 degrees for 4.5 hours they would be tender? saw this on Tim's web site.[p]
  • QBabe,[p]What is GFW's site address? I would like to go there but need an address.[p]Thnaks for your help!
    Tom

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Tom Becker, this is what you want.

[ul][li]GFW's BGE BBQ Site[/ul]
  • Wise One,[p]Thanks for the address! Tons of great info there![p]Becks

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    QBabe,
    Could you please explain the 3/1/1.5? I know what the numbers mean when doing a steak but not ribs. And can ya'll tell me if when you talk about "ribs" you mean beef? Down here (close to Tobacco Road), when we say "ribs", we mean those from a porker. I know that in Texas it is usually beef, but was just wondering from other parts of the country. We usually just cook those babies real slow until they are almost falling off the bones and then we slather them in barbequc sauce the last 15 or 20 minutes.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Gloria,[p]3 hours indirect at 250-275 degrees over firebricks (or platesetter) and a drip pan. Turn every 45 minutes or so. [p]1 hour wrapped in foil and back on the grill - still indirect at 250-275 degrees. [p]1-1.5 hours split between indirect and direct, but still at 250-275 degrees. I generally put the ribs back on indirect for about 30 minutes or so and then remove the ceramics and drip pan and put them back on direct. During the last 30-45 minutes I usually add BBQ sauce.[p]When I say "ribs", its pork (and usually baby backs)...never had a beef rib.[p]QBabe
    :~)

• Banker John
    Options
    JSlot,
    I somewhat must agree with JSlot about Spares over baby backs. My first ribs were spares at JSlot's recommendation and were fantastic (Apple City Ribs) and loved 'em. Next weekend, did baby backs with same recipe. [p]Thanks JSlot!

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed 'em, John!