Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is your Favorite Cookbook?

Smokin Tiger
Smokin Tiger Posts: 352
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is your favorite cookbook? I have 150+ but one of my all time favorites is still Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen. Not exactly health food, but a great cookbook.

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    I think that my favorite is the one I am reading at any given moment.

Actually I think that if I could only have one, it would be Best Recipes, by the folks from Cooks Illustrated magazine.

On second thought it would probably the the collection of recipes I have made since getting my BGE (many of them from here).
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    "Living Cookbook" and all the recipes I have gathered over the years . Thanks in part to the fine folks on this forum.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Don't have anywhere near 150 cookbooks and have the prudhomme book bookmarked and keep planning to order it.. but my fav at the time is the Dinosaur Cookbook from Dino BBQ in NY...have made at least 10 recipes from it on the egg and all have been huge hits...
  • I have thought about Living Cookbook. I looks like a pretty good product. It would certainly be beeter than searching through a file full of recipe cards, magazine clipings and printed out recipes. I don't know about yours, but this is not the most organized file in the house.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Single Favorite is tough. Some that rise to the top:

Smoke & Spice: Great smoking and barbecue book

Justin Wilson's Cajun Kitchen: My mom has Paul Prodhomme and I have Justin Wilson. Sometimes we do dueling Cajun.

And of course the key to the kitchen Betty Crocker's 3 ring binder cook book.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    The cake DR is a very good one. It uses cake mixes and add on's to make a close scratch cake. and some pretty good ones. Another one is the chocolate and baking cookbook. i am traveling so might have the name messed up. weird combo of different easy very good things. I have about 300 :blush: cookbooks. LOL I have collected since i was about 7 or 8 years old. I love the best of southern living and the best of taste of home. I could go on and on ! LOL Julie who is very tired in VT. but the booth is almost done. A 14 x 39 foot booth of wool and hooked rugs!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    I LOVE my old Betty Crocker 3 ring. it was my mothers from high school so it has some age on it. Don't tell her I said that!! :whistle:
  • I have been to a Dinosoar BBQ resturant in New York. Good Stuff. Don't have a copy of the cookbook but I wish I did. There for a while I would pick up a cookbook on every trip. I had to stop because I started running out of space :laugh: :laugh:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    I might have to buy that one for Bubba as a Christmas gift :laugh: :evil: :evil:
  • Smoke and Spice, a Paul Kirk book and just picked up a John Henry book that I need to put to use. B)
  • Smokin Tiger,

I have that and the Prud'hommes family cookbook. Both are amazing. There is another I have called a fork in the road? which does Acadian/Cajun but light.My favourite is the Culinary Institute of America textbook.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    +1 on Richard's comment about Living Cookbook, especially since I have a subscription to Fine Cooking online, can search myrecipes.com (Cooking Light, Sunset, etc.), Food Network, yadda yadda.

I am a Living Cookbook junkie now. The only problem is now I have so many recipes that I can't decide which to make :huh:

Michelle
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • I own many, many cooks books but if I had to get rid of all of them except one...I would keep "The Joy of Cooking." It is the best cookbook of all time.
  • i love cookbooks, have a large collection as well. i just enjoy reading them, don't really have a favorite. if you like cajun/creole cooking and good reading, let me suggest The Encyclopedia of Cajun & Creole Cuisine and After the Hunt by John Folse. Amazing chef and good stories and history of Louisiana cooking. Supposed to come out with a seafood one this Christmas or next.
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Hmmm, tough to choose one. I'd go with James Beard's "Theory and Practice of Good Cooking" for the definitive text, James Beard's "American Cookery" for classic American dishes, and any of the Frugal Gourmet series, especially "Cooks Three Ancient Cuisines", for fun, adventurous yet accessible recipes. The Egg is my oven, so they all work well with that, and if I want BBQ recipes, I come here :)
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    I will second the Dinosaur Cookbook. Heres some of thier recipes.
    http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/recipeArchive.php
  • My top two are...White trash cooking by Matthew Mickler & then Ruby Ann's Down Home Trailer Park cook book by Ruby Ann Boxcar. A must have for eatin in South Carolina. LOL enjoy Miles out. I really do have them.
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    B) Dinosaur Bar-B-Que Cookbook
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Miami Spice by Steve Raichlen. In the dead of winter, when I get really homesick for Florida, the recipes in this book make me smile or warm me up.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    I'll second (or third) "Smoke & Spice." Also enjoyed Alton Brown's "I'm Just Here for the Food" and "I'm Just Here for More Food."

As with a lot of folks, my favorite is whatever I'm reading now. In this case it's Commander's Wild Side: Bold Flavors for Fresh Ingredients from the Great Outdoors.

Dave
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.