Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter ?

jpauls72
jpauls72 Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
May sound like a dumb questions but, does the plate setter change the temputre in the egg?

I have done seveal beer but chickens on my egg using drip pans as a sudo plate setter. I just got a plate setter and did my first bear but chicken on it and the came out way over cooked.

Any advice for newbie?

Comments

• WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    You may hear from the real experts here. But, in my experience, the answer is yes...and...no. The place setter is a large ceramic mass and sucks up lots of heat when put in, and maintains heat after it gets up to temperature. It's great for indirect cooking, but anything on it directly will get a full dose of heat. You may want to have some air circulation space between the place setter and the material that holds what you are cooking.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Use a thermometer to check your meat for doneness. Always.

Are you using the platesetter, legs up, grid on legs, then chicken on the grid? If so, then cook it at 400* for about 75-90 minutes until 160* in the breast and 180* in the thigh.

You should also consider the spatchcock method. I get better results with a more uniformly done product that way.
  • I agree with Fidel…Plate setter legs up, a drip pan with the grid atop the legs.
    I always set up the Egg for indirect with a drip pan (with a little juice in it) when doing a chicken or a turkey.
    If I want to smoke the chick I use a pretty low (300 F.) temp. with smoke-wood for the first hour, then kick it up to 375-400 F. for another hour. The key is to check the temp. and pull when its there. Don’t just rely on the clock…It’s never right!! Too many variables…
    Here, however, I differ with Fidel a bit. I like my chicken “falling apart” and therefore take the temp. of the breast to the 170 even 180 F. mark. I haven’t experienced an “overdone” at these temps. so far… Just way juicy and falling apart tender.
    BTW, a 1999 United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Food Safety and Inspection Service, Serve Safe memo states that a whole chicken should temp. out at 180 F. For what ever that may be worth.
  • Thanks - I was using it legs up with drip pan on the plate and the bird on the grate.

What is a good themoneter to use? Is there a goo remote one?
  • Thanks what is the spatchcock method?
  • Good Remote thermometer for overnight/lo n slo - Maverick ET-73. cost about $40.

Great instant read thermometer - Thermapen. Cost about $75-$80 but really is worth it. I use it on every cook.
    so easy to check and make sure you have the right temp.

Spatchcock chicken is sort of butterflied rather than cooked the usual way (as is). You can learn all you need to know about it here:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    BTW, a 1999 United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Food Safety and Inspection Service, Serve Safe memo states that a whole chicken should temp. out at 180 F.

couple years ago, USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) changed to 165 degrees for poultry.

Safe Cooking
    FSIS recommends cooking whole chicken to a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 °F as measured using a food thermometer. Check the internal temperature in the innermost part of the thigh and wing and the thickest part of the breast. For reasons of personal preference, consumers may choose to cook poultry to higher temperatures.

Pink Meat
    The color of cooked chicken is not a sign of its safety. Only by using a food thermometer can one accurately determine that chicken has reached a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 °F throughout. The pink color in safely cooked chicken may be due to the hemoglobin in tissues which can form a heat-stable color. Smoking or grilling may also cause this reaction, which occurs more in young birds.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Factsheets/Chicken_Food_Safety_Focus/index.asp
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Hey...Thanks for the update!
    Just goes to show how I'm a bit behind the times...Or in this case temps. :)
  • Nils
    Nils Posts: 82
    Further support for the Maverick ET-73. I have twoof them and love'em. Kep track of the instructions - you'll eventually want to know how to contact them to buy replacement probes. As with all probes - don't want to kink the wires, no immerse in water - eventually they will break.

Thermapen is great - I have borrowed one a couple times - but personally I'm saving that money for a Digi-Q.

Spatchcock works great - I do that for Jamaican Jerked chicken, but the 'ole beer can chicken still impresses the natives more than a spatchcocked chicken!
  • I got my replacement probe at the smokin guitar player's place. Cost, including s&h was same or less than going direct to Maverick - FYI
    It's a high heat one so I don't have to worry about frying one when I'm roasting stuff at 400.
  • buy the adjustable rig; use top ring and spatchcock 400F one hour - Done! and can't be beaten direct or indirect.

i have found using the rig combined with 13" pizza stone for indirect cooking gives me much finer temp control far beyong that of the placesetter... :kiss: