Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help. Losing my love for the Egg

Options
Voltage
Voltage Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought my egg about six months ago and used it furiously for the first two months. But over time I've been hesitant to use it as it seems to take too long to heat up (sometimes up to half an hour to get to 650 degrees).

I've also been finding that, at high heat, it flames to much making it hard to cook on.

Or, the heat is uneven.

I'm placing three pieces of that inflammable stick that I bought at the same store I bought the egg.

Overall, it is seeming like more hassle than fun.

Any ideas on how I can get my Egg Mojo back?

Thanks,

Sincerely

Voltage

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    if it flames at high heat, sounds like your lid is open?

i had issues with my small taking time to get to temp and i honestly realized it's because i wasn't using it regularly. the ceramics can get damp, as well as the lump.

for getting to temp quickly, i use tow paper napkins drizzled LIGHTLY (not soaked, not ipped) in vegetable or olive oil. just enough that the paper is translucent, not dripping. twist them in the middle like bow ties (flared at the ends), and light, with pieces of lump spanning over the flames. I often get to 700 in 15 minutes. though, once, with a fellow egg owner watching, it took a relight and more than a half hour. fire gods were mocking me.

anyway.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    how to find your Egg Mojo?
    Ribs
  • GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Options
    Do a low and slow boston butt! It's a great "bonding" project with your egg and definitely a huge reward in the form of good food and compliments from your family friends when they eat it! It will definitely make you feel like a rock star egger!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    get a weedburner to light with, makes the heat more even than most other methods and its faster to come up to temp
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bama Chad
    Options
    Do you just prefer high heat cooks? The only thing I can think of you need to cook on a regular basis at 650+ is if you wanted to sear a steak...and 650+ is optional...

Sounds like you need to do more low & slow cooks...

My favorite part of the egg is the actual process of cooking on it...followed by the great satisfaction of eating the great food that has been cooked...

Have patience B)
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Sounds like you're going after searing cooks. I love seared steak, but that is such a limited view of what an Egg can do. It also is not the easiest cook in the world, even though it seems like it should be.

Nothing succeeds like success, so I would try some fundamentals that are easy. If you're a chicken fan at all, try spatchcocking a chicken. I only recently found the method, I've been cooking chicken on the Egg for 9 years and having tried just about everything, I doubt I will ever use any other method again. Simple, simple cook with great results. Check out Naked Whiz's site for details.

I've also recently started using a Dutch oven in conjunction with the Egg. The combination is a fun alternative to traditional grilling and barbecuing methods.

As I think someone else mentioned, one of the best ways to get your Egg mojo working is to read this forum frequently. There are some great cooks hanging around here and a lot to be learned from them.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Have you tried non tradtional grilling/baking like pizza or desserts?
  • Okeejohn
    Okeejohn Posts: 297
    Options
    First and foremost, clean your Egg. Lift out your inside components to see if there is a build up of ash.

Okeejohn
    Okeechobee, Fl
  • Voltage
    Options
    All of you who are answering me are amazing. Thanks.
    What is a weedburner? Sounds fascinating.

And yes, I've tried Pizza a few times but either burn it or undercook (yes, I've tried wetting the stone) to the point my wife won't trust me with pizza anymore.

My slowcooking has worked better than my searing (yes, plenty of steaks on the menu) but I often don't have the time to devote. Maybe when I retire.

Look forward to hearing from more of you.

Again, I'm blown away by the responce.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    One of the things I learned early on about cooking on the Egg is that I had to rearrange my cooking routine after work in order to have dinner done at a respectable hour. Instead of preparing all the food for cooking, then lighting the Egg like I did with the old gasser, I switched to lighting the Egg first and then started preparing food for cooking like thawing, chopping and seasoning, etc. By the time I'm done prepping for our meal, the Egg is ready to go. Old habits are hard to break, but if you try this method, I bet you'll be back in the game in no time. ;)

Mark
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    You already have lots of great advice from our fellow egger's. As for it taking that long to get the temp up I would do like Okeejohn said and remove all of the inner parts to check for ash build up behind the firebox.

Put the parts back in being sure the the hole in the firebox is lined up with vent opening in the egg. Use new fresh lump. Also you might want to check your thermometer in boiling water to be sure it's on or very close to 212 degrees.

I have had damp lump that took forever to get to a high heat and fresh lump of (not BGE) that would not come up either. On that one I decided to try a different brand, temp shot up much sooner.

Give it another shot and stay close to the forum.

Good Luck,

Bordello
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    At the risk of irritating Celtic Wolf, I'm going to talk about fire building for a moment. :laugh:

Following advice I got here from Nature Boy (he is one of the Dizzy Pig boys), I have started building a small fire in the bottom of the fire box, using about half a gallon of lump. When that gets rolling good, add the amount of lump you'll need for the cook you're doing. I'm getting more even fires with the hot spots less concentrated. If I was in a real hurry, I'd use a torch to get the starter fire going.

I like a little bit of wood in my direct cooks, too, but they can be a flaming problem. If you put the wood in on top of the starter fire, then put the rest of the lump on top, it diffuses any flame ups the wood has.
  • obstructionist
    Options
    Try doing a low-and-slow cook. I'm a recently new egger, and I've done one pulled pork and a couple of ribs.

You just can't get the same taste on a gas grill, and the Egg is much easier to use than an old-style offset smoker.

The pork and ribs were soooooooo good, our dinner guests keep telling all our other friends (who weren't lucky enough to attend on those days) how amazing food was. Now we have to hold another dinner party (soon!) so everyone else can taste for themselves.
  • Golfnut
    Golfnut Posts: 144
    Options
    You say it flames at high heat, probably when you are searing a steak at 650.
    My advise is get one of those Spiders and a grate to fit it. That way the grate and the steaks will be right down near the hot lump and you won't have to have the Egg at such a high temp to get a good sear.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    eac4a2d4.jpg
    harbor frieght has the weedburners online for about 20 dollars, you need a propane tank from a gasser. someone mentioned ash buildup, it builds up behind the firebox and about 6 months its about time to remove it. the egg only flames up when the dome is open, a raised grid helps, have you looked at the adjustable rig yet or the woo ring
    http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/
    fukahwee maine

• EggZona
    EggZona Posts: 108
    Options
    I must reinerate the importance of a clean egg. I do a good clean every 5 cooks or so depending on what I am cooking. Definetly before a long low and slo.

I find the best way is to actually vacum out the egg. Remove the fire ring and fire box and vacum it out. Inspect the vents in the fire box. Air circulation is very important in the egg.

The other thing is the lump itself. I had the same problem at one time and looking back, now I know that I was careless in protecting my fuel. Keep the top of your charcoal bag rolled down and in a dry place if possible. Same with your egg. Keep the lid on it and the vents closed. A damp egg can quickly be fixed with a hot fire but a hot fire is difficult to create with damp charcoal. (Charcoal = Lump)

Also, find a charcoal that you like and that is readily available and stick with it. Every charcoal is different. Get used to a favorite brand. I pretty much stick with BGE brand. It is very consistant and depedable. About $1.00 per lb v. discount lump at .60 cents per pound. Not worth it to me!

Weed burners/torches are fun and if you have the time go for it. However, they require your time that you could better use for food prep. I use a single starte cube, light it, leave the lid open for 10 min, close the lid and leave the vents open, and in 30 min I can attain 550*.

You have hit a wall and you have to break through it. Stick with it and follow consistant fundemental steps and you will prevail. At that point you will develop a routine pattern and all will be consistent and routine.

You can do it!

Otherwise, contact the rescue line and we will talk you down.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i think the only way to get a more even lit lump is with a chimney starter, but where is the fun in that, and the weedburner can clean the grid along with lighting the lump to save even more time
    fukahwee maine

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Of course. I even use mine to burn the crud off the side walls from time to time. This is not recommended to people who value their felt gaskets ;)
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    take the above advice about cleaning out the egg... that is your most likely problem re: getting up to temp.
    flame ups suggest you are dripping fat into the lump and it is flaming when you reuse.. burn off the fat before sutting down the egg. also do a clean burn 600° for an hour or so.
    lastly you can cook anything on the.. what do you like to eat..cake pie ribs chicken let us know your favorite food and we will hook you up.. paella is a challenge but very rewarding.. we all have pics tell us what you like
    bill
  • RCflier
    Options
    I've gotta get one of those! seems easier that the webber starters I've been using
  • fishlessman
    Options
    fukahwee maine

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I experienced the same lack-of-enthusiasm sydrome after about 6 months. It's still the greatest for low & slow cooks (pork butt, etc.) but I often revert to the old "gasser" for steaks, burgers & all. Perhaps the novelty has worn off a bit...
  • Go Green
    Options
    I have switched to keeping my lump in thick plastic commercial garbage cans with tight fitting flat lids in the garage (the flat lids make them perfect for stacking). My old way of keeping the open bags rolled and closed and stored in the garage seemed to pull moisture from the environment and made it a bit more difficult to get up to high temp. I live in Washington State so moisture is a factor most of the year. This method of storage has made a HUGE difference. I hope this helped!!
  • Bama Chad
    Options
  • Bama Chad
    Options
    I'll second this on BGE lump...I used something else once and it took forever to come up to temp....

Haven't tried some of the other common ones mentioned on this site...just because BGE for me is easiest to get and usually keeps me satisfied.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I always start the Egg with birch bark and a few (really small) wood scraps. This seems to work real well for me. I did try a torch once, but went back to the bark and wood.
    Think of cooking on the Egg this way…It’s a way of life; it takes time but, it’s quality time!
    If you want fast burgers, a gasser may be the answer….Or McDonalds.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Forgot to add.... :whistle:
    There are times it takes me more or less time to get the Egg up to temp. I feel there are MANY variables:
    Damp Egg, damp lump, relative humidity…Just to name three that drive me crazy!
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Yoo too phuny!! 8 - )!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    lots of good info here, don't be overwhelmed!

I bet you used a gasser before - I did and it was an awkward transition.

You might have slow burning lump, Some brands of lump take a long time to reach their potential heat which is frustrating when you are trying to hit a target temp. Cowboy is cheap, clean burning, hot and easy.

As previously mentioned, do clean out your Egg. Ash can clog airways.

Also as previously mentioned, change your P.O.A. I always light it up first, leave the lower vent wide open and the dome open until the starters burn up completely. After which, close the dome and watch the temp rise.

Expect it to be about 20-30 minutes from the time you light it until you put your food on.

I'd say cook some easy cooks first. Spatchcock or beercan chicken, roast beef or steaks cooked at 400 rather than seared, salmon (400 for 15 minutes-skin side down) . don't bother with smoke yet unless that's something you're already comfortable with.
    E-mail me if you want some easy cook ideas.

Best way to get back on this horse is to keep things straightforward, simple and adjust your expectations for time.